This Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal is rich, creamy, and perfect for chilly fall mornings. It’s lightly sweetened with maple syrup and topped with warm sauteed apples. It’s also gluten-free and vegan.
San Diego days have still been warm…summer kinds of warm. But in the mornings, we’ve been getting a hint of fall – chilly air and a little wind; just enough to warrant a sweater on my morning walks.
By mid-day, we’re back to sunny and sweaty weather, but I’ve been cherishing these cooler mornings. They’re my “me” time – the time where I take a long walk with Hank, enjoy my mushroom coffee, do a meditation or go to yoga class, and then delve into one of my favorite parts of my work day: photographing.
The cloudy mornings are my preferred time to take photos, since the clouds are a natural diffuser, giving photos beautifully soft & diffused light. These cloudy mornings are also the perfect time for me to cozy up with a warm bowl of pumpkin spice oatmeal and pretend that it’s not going to get into the high 70s later that day.
While I always go back to my go-to bowl of oats (these Chocolate Strawberry Oats, usually with a drizzle of peanut butter), I felt like a seasonal change of pace was needed, and this bowl of Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal with Sauteed Apples was born.
They’re simple to make, as oatmeal always is, and made extra creamy from the pumpkin puree. You’ll lightly sweeten the oats with maple syrup and add spice with a few shakes of pumpkin pie spice.
While the oats simmer on the stove and absorb the almond milk, you’ll saute the apples in a little coconut oil and maple syrup until softened and a little caramelized. They, too, get a sprinkle of pumpkin spice. Then, you’ll toss in some chopped pecans are for a little extra crunch.
Pile the sauteed apples on top of the warm, pumpkin spice oatmeal and serve as is. If you want, add a drizzle of nut butter as a finishing touch – I love using pecan butter here. Once they’re ready, grab your coffee and tea and snuggle on the couch to enjoy. You deserve it. Happy Fall, my friends! xoxoxPrint
This Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal is perfect for chilly fall mornings. It’s lightly sweetened with maple syrup and topped with warm sauteed apples.
For the oatmeal
- ¼ cup pure pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ⅔ cup dairy-free milk, I used almond milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
For the sauteed apples
- In a small saucepan, combine the pumpkin puree, rolled oats, almond milk, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice. Simmer until milk has absorbed into the oats, about 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the oats simmer, heat a small saute pan and melt the coconut oil. Add the diced apple pieces, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Saute until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Toss in the chopped pecans.
- Place the oatmeal into a bowl and top with sauteed apples and if desired, a drizzle of nut butter (pecan butter is a great choice here). Enjoy immediately!
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin, apple, oatmeal, pumpkin spice, oatmeal, breakfast, gluten free, vegan