Pumpkin Apple Muffins (GF + Vegan)
These Pumpkin Apple Muffins are a healthy breakfast treat that’s full of fall flavor. This easy recipe is gluten free, refined sugar free, and vegan.
As soon as September hit in Seattle, the weather seemed to take notice. The temperature dropped, wind picked up, and the gentle breeze in the air turned into the crisp Seattle chill that makes everyone reach for their coffee. The leaves have been turning all shades of fiery red, burnt orange, and warm gold, leaving rainbows on the sidewalks as they dance towards the ground when the wind hits just the right way.
I left Seattle on Thursday for a trip home to visit family in San Diego, and in ever-sunny San Diego, cold weather is not the case. I landed at 9:15 am and headed to wait on the curb in my jeans and big fluffy sweater. The sweater was ripped off within a minute of heading into the 84 degree heat and humidity. Hello, San Diego – did you realize it was October??
October calls for pumpkin, cinnamon, and apples, yet San Diego weather is still calling for ice cream and strawberries. Thankfully, we control the food, despite the weather, and even if it’s still swelteringly hot where you live, you can enjoy the best of fall vicariously through warm fall spices and fruits.
These muffins have two of my fall favorites: pumpkin and apples. The pumpkin flavors the whole muffin, and the apples are diced small, adding delicious apple bites and tons of flavor. Cinnamon and nutmeg add the warmth and comfort of fall, and help make your house smell delicious while these muffins are baking.
These muffins are super moist because of the pumpkin and the apples, so I used a mix of almond flour and coconut flour. The coconut flour is key here – it helps keep the muffins from being too wet because it’s so absorbent. I also added oats to give the muffins some texture, and don’t you just love the way the oats look sprinkled on top of the muffins?
These muffins are not too sweet – they’re just right to enjoy as a snack or as a healthy breakfast.
Grab a muffin, a cup of coffee, and enjoy the fall – no matter the weather!
Want more gluten-free vegan muffins?
- Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- Double Chocolate Muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Carrot Cake Muffins
- Spiced Chai Muffins
- Fluffy Blueberry Muffins
- 1¼ cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 cup peeled & chopped apple in ¼” cubes
- Pepitas, to garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Stir together almond flour, coconut flour, oats, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Add in the pumpkin puree, coconut oil, and non-dairy milk. Stir until just moistened. Fold in chopped apple. Fill muffin cups ¾ full.
- Add pepitas on top if desired, to garnish, right before baking.
- Bake for about 25-28 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick comes out clean.