These Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies with Marshmallow Creme Filling are reminiscent of Little Debbie’s Oatmeal Creme Pies with their super soft texture and creme filling – but they have a peanut butter twist!
This post is in partnership with Delish, and the recipe is hosted on Delish.com. Click here to see the post on Delish.
I, like most people, thrive off inspiration. I look for it during the big events of my life, but also in the everyday happenings around me. I spend most of my days thinking about food and dreaming up new ways to craft ingredients together, and the inspired recipes are always the best ones. My inspiration is derived not just from the big things, like a road trip down the coast or an watching an inspirational speaker, but from the mundane: a trip to the grocery store, a conversation with the cashier at my favorite local coffee shop, the old-school packaging of my favorite childhood treats.
These Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies with Marshmallow Crème Filling, are also the product of inspiration. They are inspired by the super soft, always nostalgic Little Debbie’s Oatmeal Crème Pie. There’s something undeniably homey and irresistible about biting into that super soft oatmeal cookie, tasting the sweet marshmallow crème, and trying to catch it all as the filling starts to squish out the sides with each bite. They’re a lunch box staple and a decadent treat, but they’re also way more processed than most things I like to eat or serve – so I made them myself.
Although Little Debbie’s is great as-is, in my book, there are few things that can’t benefit from a healthy dose of peanut butter. These cookies are the soft, spiced, pliable cookies that are perfect for squishing together with a bunch of marshmallow cream in the middle, but they also have a nice peanut butter kick and a tender bite from the oats.
The cookies come together quickly, and bake up perfectly soft. These are ones you’re going to want to watch while they’re in the oven though – you want the centers to be barely past dough, and the edges just turning slightly golden brown. Any further and the cookies will lose that soft, squishy texture that makes them so awesome and perfect for sandwiching.
The marshmallow crème filling was hailed as “frosting that should be put on everything” by my friends, if that’s an indication of how good it is. As the one doing the work, I love it too because it’s so simple. Just whip all the ingredients together and voila – done and ready to spread. You get all the marshmallow crème taste without the hassle of making a Swiss buttercream.
Once the cookies are baked, and the frosting is made, just sandwich and devour! These throwback sandwich cookies with a peanut butter twist will have your friends begging for another.
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies with Marshmallow Creme Filling
- In large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla extract and peanut butter. Beat in egg until well blended.
- Combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add into peanut butter mixture and beat until just combined.
- Chill cookie dough, covered, at least 2 hours and up to 1 week.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Form rounded tablespoons of dough into balls and arrange about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake cookies in batches in middle of oven for 10 to 11 minutes, or until just pale golden. Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes and transfer to racks to cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, prepare marshmallow buttercream filling.
For the filling
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl and mix on high speed with an electric mixer for 1 to 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Match cookies in pairs based on size. Spread 1 tablespoon of buttercream onto one cookie and sandwich with other cookie in the pair. Repeat until all cookies are sandwiched.
Recipe originally published on Delish.