These Peanut Butter & Jelly Cinnamon Rolls are a delicious twist on a classic breakfast treat. These cinnamon rolls are filled with peanut butter and jelly and topped with a peanut butter cream cheese frosting. This will be the best PB&J you’ve ever had!
This post is in partnership with Delish.com! Click here to read the post on their site or skip straight to the recipe. Be sure to look at all the other absolutely drool-worthy things they got going on over there!
As all the kiddos head back to class, and I’m in my apartment, not starting classes for the first time in 16 years, I had to make a treat to help me reminisce on the most iconic of school lunches of years past: PB&J! This nostalgic-inspired treat is one of my favorite twists on cinnamon rolls. Just let them rise overnight, pop them in the oven first thing in the morning, and you’ll have the scent of warm, gooey cinnamon rolls in place of an alarm clock.
The yeast dough for this recipe uses instant yeast, which has become my favorite because you don’t have to stress out while waiting to see if it activates. Instead, you stir the yeast into the flour, add the hot liquid, and let the yeast work its magic. The dough will be pretty soft, but it’s easy to work with. Resist adding extra flour—you don’t want tough cinnamon rolls!
Once the dough has gone through it’s first rise, slather them with a mixture of cinnamon, peanut butter, and brown sugar. That gets topped with some jelly (use your favorite flavor) and then rolled into a log. Slice it up, put it in a pan, and let it rise again. You want your rolls to be nice, big, and fluffy!
While they’re in the oven, quickly whip up the peanut butter cream cheese frosting. Slather it on your warm rolls—and go! This will be the best PB&J you’ve ever had. Promise.Print
For the dough
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter (softened)
- 3¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 .25 oz. package instant yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 egg
For the filling
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup jam (flavor of choice)
For the frosting
- 4 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoon heavy cream
For the rolls
- Heat milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in butter; stir until melted. Let cool until lukewarm.
- In large mixing bowl, combine 2¼ cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt; mix well. Add water, egg and milk mixture; beat well. Add remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When dough has just pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough into a well-oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for about 2 hours, until doubled in size. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together peanut butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Roll out dough into a 12×9″ rectangle and spread with peanut butter mixture, then jam. Roll up dough and pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 rolls and place cut side up in a greased greased 9×13″ dish. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake 30 minutes. (You may need to tent with foil around 20 minutes to keep the rolls from getting too browned.) Let cool about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make frosting.
For the frosting
- Cream together cream cheese and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl. Add powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons heavy cream. Beat until completely smooth. Add more heavy cream if you want a thinner consistency. Spread on baked rolls.
- Category: Breakfast