For the best gluten-free, vegan cookie, these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies will be your new go-to! Made with delicious peanut butter cups and dark chocolate chunks, you won’t believe they’re grain-free, dairy-free, and lightly sweetened with coconut sugar!
the most delicious peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
Peanut butter + dark chocolate + cookie dough…is there a more delicious combination? These peanut butter chocolate chip cookies combine all our favorite things in life and I guarantee you are going to love them! They’re thick, doughy, and chewy with a delicious crisp outer edge. Plus you get melted dark chocolate peanut butter in each bite…divine!
Aside from being 100% delicious to eat, they’re super simple to whip up and full of nourishing ingredients. But what exactly makes them so healthy? These peanut butter cookies are:
gluten-free + grain-free
vegan friendly & dairy-free
packed with healthy fats
Ingredients you need to make them
- Refined Coconut Oil: I like to use the refined version to ensure there’s no coconut flavor! Make sure the coconut oil is softened and not completely melted for optimal cookie texture.
- Coconut Sugar: this keeps the cookies refined sugar-free.
- Vanilla Extract: an essential for baked goods!
- Creamy Peanut Butter: make sure the ingredient list doesn’t contain any extra added oils or sugar!
- Flax Egg: if not vegan, you can easily substitute a regular egg. For a flax egg combine 1 TBSP flaxseed meal and 3 TBSP water and let sit for 5 minutes until a gel forms.
- Blanched almond flour: make sure you shop for almond flour and not almond meal!
- Baking powder + Baking soda
- Sea salt
- Dark chocolate chunks
- Dark chocolate peanut butter cups: make sure to shop for a gluten-free and dairy-free variety if needed! I like to chop these up before folding them into the batter.
how to make peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- First, you’ll cream the softened coconut oil and coconut sugar with a hand mixer until it’s light and fluffy. Then mix in the peanut butter, vanilla extract and flax egg.
- In a separate bowl whisk the almond flour, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt until well combined. Make sure no clumps remain!
- Add the peanut butter mixture to the dry ingredients and continue to mix until a cookie dough forms. Fold in the dark chocolate chunks and peanut butter cups.
- Cover the bowl and allow the cookie dough to chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (the hardest part!)
- Once ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Use a cookie scoop or roll the dough into 12 balls and place on the sheet 2 inches apart. Press down lightly and sprinkle with a touch of sea salt.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Allow the cookie to cool on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
do you need to chill the cookie dough?
how to store peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
More peanut butter recipes to make
I hope you love these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies as much as I do! If you love them, please leave a review in the comments below and let me know what you thought. xoxo!Print
- ⅓ cup (67g) refined coconut oil, softened
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (128g) creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg or flax egg
- 1⅔ cups (160g) blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅔ cup (4 ounces) dark chocolate chunks, or chocolate chips
- ½ cup mini dark chocolate peanut butter cups, chopped, make sure they’re vegan
- Flaky sea salt, to sprinkle on top, optional
- In a mixing bowl, cream together coconut oil and coconut sugar until light and fluffy using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer. Mix in peanut butter and vanilla extract. Incorporate in the egg or flax egg until well blended.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add into the peanut butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chunks and chopped peanut butter cups. Chill the cookie dough, covered, for at least 1 hour and up to 1 week. This helps the cookies stay nice and thick when they’re baked and helps the flavors develop.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°. Divide the dough into 12 balls and arrange about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Press down slightly. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if desired.
- Bake cookies in batches in the middle of oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until just pale golden brown. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5 minutes and transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. You can also freeze the cookies in an airtight container or freeze the dough balls.
To make a flax egg: whisk together 1 tablespoon flax meal with 2.5 tablespoons water and let set for 10 minutes before using
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cookies, gluten free, vegan, grain free, peanut butter, chocolate, healthy, dessert