This Paleo Banana Blueberry Swirl Cake has a blueberry compote swirled throughout, for a moist and tender cake that’s also gluten-free and Paleo! This easy recipe is healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast.
Is it a bread? Is it a cake? This recipe is sort of an odd in between, but I called it a cake because it looked more like a cake than a bread. But it’s totally a cake you can eat for breakfast, zero guilt involved. Awesome, huh?
This cake is barely sweetened at all, but lacks no sweetness thanks to the bananas and blueberries. It’s also incredibly moist and tender. It’s totally Paleo, gluten-free, grain-free, and dairy-free. It’s also beautiful! Look at those swirls!
Oh – and the compote!! It’s seriously so easy to make. Three ingredients: fresh blueberries, water, honey. You could sub maple syrup for the honey if that’s more convenient/to keep the compote vegan. You bring the ingredients to a boil, then turn it to a simmer and leave it alone for about 10 minutes, stirring once in a while. Then let it cool. That’s that. It takes a few minutes, and the result is a luscious, sweet, amazingly easy compote. You could 100% slather this on toast, over ice cream, in your oatmeal, in a smoothie…skies the limit. But FIRST – put it in this cake.
This cake is such a perfect way to satisfy a sweet tooth without any guilt. I absolutely love the versatility that bananas provide, and how they add sweetness and moisture and all things that make cakes and breads even better. So much goodness in one little fruit!
I’m obsessed with that blueberry compote (SO easy!) and how wonderfully it swirled into the batter. It baked up so beautifully and left such pretty blue swirls throughout the cake. Also: the swirls make the cake naturally look pretty which saves you the trouble of having to gussy it up if you want to impress!
I ate slivers of this cake, morning and night while it was around (it wasn’t long…). It stayed so good the whole time it lasted, and it tasted even better slathered with a little bit of my Dark Chocolate Coconut Almond Butter (already went through two batches of that stuff!).
You guys have to try this one before summer ends and blueberries become exorbitantly expensive again – for real. And remember: cakes are for breakfast, especially this one.
Banana Cake with Blueberry Compote Swirl
For the cake
- 1 cup (84g) almond flour
- ⅓ cup (37g) coconut flour
- ¼ cup (25g) tapioca flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons (30g) coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons (30g) honey
- 3 eggs room temperature
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- ½ tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas ~250g, mashed
For the compote
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons water
For the cake
- Make compote first (recipe below). Let cool while you make the cake batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8" or 9" round baking pan with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, honey, eggs, milk, mashed bananas, and vanilla.
- Stir in the almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Spread half of the batter onto the bottom of the prepared pan. Dollop cooled compote on the batter, and swirl it in slightly with a knife. Cover with remaining batter and repeat with compote.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool.
For the compote
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring water to a boil, and then set to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until blueberries start to break down and the mixture thickens. When this happens, remove from heat and place in the refrigerator to cool while you prepare the cake batter.
- Keep any extra compote refrigerated and serve with cake!
Enjoy this recipe? Check out some of my similar favorites below!
You might like these recipes too!