Bakerita celebrates its four year blog birthday with S’mores Brownie Cups – a fudgy brownie with a graham cracker crust, topped with a toasted marshmallow! This decadent dessert is easy and sure to be a hit.
We’re celebrating here today. That is, indeed, why my s’mores brownie cups are wearing party hats (as if brownies needed a reason to wear party hats…).
Do you know whyyyy we’re celebrating? Well…
We’re having a birthday – not mine, but Bakerita’s. It was 4 years ago today that Bakerita.com was born, and my first post went live on the internet.
Four. Years. That’s sort of a crazy-long time in my 20-year long life. I’ve been involved with Bakerita for one-fifth of my life. I’ve spent the past four years taking photos, brainstorming new recipes, writing posts, connecting with readers and bloggers on social media, and learning about advertising and analytics. Through everything I’ve done over the past 4 years, Bakerita has never been far from my mind, and it’s absolutely crazy to me that it’s been so long since I decided on a whim to start a food blog, mostly because my sister told me to and I wanted a new hobby.
I was 16 when I started the site, about to be a senior in high school, with not a clue about how to run a food blog. I played around for a while, posting somewhat consistently and learning a little bit as I went. Slowly…I got more into it. I got more creative with recipes, I wanted to learn to be better at photographing food, I started to experiment with different styles of baking, and Bakerita got more fun and more important to me.
Through some of the most hectic years of my life, including my whole time in college, I’ve kept up with Bakerita. I’ve maintained posting as consistently as possible even when I was abroad. And really, I do it because I love it. I’m passionate about it, and it just keeps getting more exciting. I’ve had so much fun on this site – I’ve loved building a relationship with all of you who read my blog and make my recipes, so thank you all for reading.
In order to celebrate 4 years of recipes, I thought about making a big blog birthday cake, or something fun with sprinkles and celebratory sparklers. But I decided it would be a little more meaningful to do a little throwback to my first ever post on Bakerita – S’mores Cookies Cups – and remake them in the way I’d do it today.
The original S’mores Cookie Cups were essentially chocolate cookie dough baked in a mini cupcake pan with graham crackers and mini marshmallows baked on top. I still remember them, and they were decently good. Let’s remember: I taught myself how to bake as this website developed, so not my best recipe ever, but they definitely weren’t a bad dessert.
The concept behind this dessert though, is something I can still totally get behind. I’m a s’mores lover, and am in favor of everything having a thick graham cracker crust. I’m also super into brownies (which bake up much more nicely than cookies do in a muffin pan, I’ve learned). The two together are a match made in heaven, so for my recipe redesign, I lined a cupcake pan with sweet, crunchy graham cracker crumbs, filled it with my favorite rich, super fudgy brownie batter, and then finished the whole thing off with a gooey toasted marshmallow and a square of melty Hershey’s chocolate (for authenticity/aesthetic reasons).
This version definitely wins. Sorry 16-year-old self!
These delicious morsels – renamed S’mores Brownie Cups – are crunchy, gooey, sticky, sweet, chocolatey, and so so delicious. You seriously got to try them. Whenever you need portable s’mores (which should be always), let these be your go-to.
I highly encourage you guys to go click on my first ever Bakerita post for a little laugh about my long ramblings, subpar photography, and overall randomness. It’s definitely a throwback! Thank you all again for being a Bakerita reader, whether you’ve been with me for four years, four months, four days, or four minutes. You’re the best! xoxoxWant more of Bakerita? Stay in touch on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest for all of the latest recipes & updates from my kitchen to yours!
S’mores Brownie Cups
For the crust
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup 2 oz. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
For the brownies
- 6 oz. dark chocolate coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup 4 oz. unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup 5 1/4 oz. granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup 2 oz. light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup 2 3/4 oz. all-purpose flour
- 12 marshmallows I used the flat ones
- 1 Hershey's bar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners, or grease the pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together all of the ingredients for the graham cracker crust until completely combined. Divide the crumbs between the muffin tins, and press the crumbs on the bottom and up the sides of the tins. Set aside while you prepare the brownie batter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and cocoa powder together.
- Put the chocolate and butter in a large glass bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, and repeat until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and smooth. Add the sugars. Whisk until completely combined. The mixture should be room temperature.
- Add 2 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla and stir. Do not overbeat the batter at this stage or your brownies will be cakey.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture. Using a rubber spatula (not a whisk), fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible.
- Divide the batter evenly between the graham cracker lined muffin tins. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs attached.
- Remove brownies from oven and place a marshmallow on top of each brownie. Return to the oven for 1-2 minutes or until marshmallows are light golden brown. Keep a close eye on the marshmallows while they bake.
- Remove from oven, and place 1 square of Hershey's chocolate bar on top of each marshmallow. Serve, and enjoy!