Nutella Stuffed Oatmeal Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
These Nutella Stuffed Oatmeal Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies are loaded with dark chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt. Crunchy toasted hazelnuts and Nutella make these chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies even more drool worthy!
This is going to be short and sweet, 1) because my thesis needs to be turned into the printer tonight and I need to finish (OMG), and 2) because these cookies are so darn good they don’t need a whole lot of explanation. Let’s not dwell on that first point, alright?
Also – how much of a procrastinator does it make me sound like that I’m writing a post instead of my thesis? I just really had to share this cookie recipe. You guys were asking for it! We won’t dwell on that either.
Okay – let’s talk cookies. This cookie is seriously one of the gooiest I’ve ever tried, let alone ever made. That’s partially because I’ve been cutting abnormally large chunks of chocolate for cookies recently because it makes these gooey pools of chocolate in the cookies that is totally irresistible. So imagine this: pools of dark chocolate + a layer of melted Nutella through the center of an chewy, thick oatmeal cookie thats also studded with toasted hazelnuts and sprinkled with a bit of sea salt.
That, my friends, is a truly magical cookie. The toasted hazelnuts adds a nice nutty flavor and brings that flavor out in the Nutella as well. The oats keep the texture soft and on point, and the dough itself bakes up chewy and buttery, with just a little crunch around the edges.
The sprinkle of sea salt helps cut through the sweetness, but by this point you probably know if you’re someone who likes a little sea salt on their cookies or not, so feel free to skip it if salted cookies aren’t your thing. These cookies are a fun, decadent treat for anyone who loves Nutella…or chocolate…or cookies…so basically, anyone :) Time for me to finish my thesis…you go enjoy some cookies!!
Nutella Stuffed Oatmeal Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Yield: 16 large cookies 1x
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 8 oz. dark chocolate (chopped)
- ¾ cup hazelnuts (toasted and chopped)
- ½ cup Nutella (or any chocolate hazelnut butter)
- Flaky sea salt (optional but recommended)
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar, until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well blended, and then add the vanilla extract.
- Combine the oats, flour, baking soda, and salt. Add into the butter mixture and beat until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chunks and hazelnuts. Chill cookie dough, covered, for at least one hour or up to three days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and fill each cookie dough ball with about 1 teaspoon of Nutella. You can do this by flattening the dough and pressing it around the Nutella, or using a cookie scoop, make an indentation in the middle of the dough, place the Nutella in the indentation, and then cover with more cookie dough. Form the dough into balls and arrange about 3 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle cookies with flaky sea salt, if desired. Bake cookies for 12 minutes, or until just pale golden brown. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5 minutes and transfer to racks to cool completely.
Enjoy this recipe? Check out some of my similar favorites below!
Red Velvet Oreo Cookies with Cream Cheese Filling
Cookie Butter Stuffed Soft Ginger Cookies
Ferrero Rocher Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream
You’re right — these don’t need much explanation! Good luck with your thesis and graduation and all that! Make sure you celebrate with some good food :)
Don’t have to tell me twice :) thanks so much, Ashley!
These cookies look so decadent and delicious! I love me some Nutella! Good luck with your thesis! You’re in the home stretch now! Graduation is getting closer every day!
Thank you so much, Rachelle. I know – it’s too crazy to think about!
Oh yeah…this is all sorts of amazing! We don’t need lots of words to see that! Love all the flavors and big craters of chocolate! Also adore how thick and crusty your cookies are. Heavenly…
Thanks so much, Monica!!
I’m sure these cookies are very delicious, but I’m horribly dismayed to see people still pushing Nutella. Nutella contains PALM OIL. Oragutans and Elephants as well as a host of other innocent animals are being burned alive to clear their homes to plant palm oil trees. Non-sustainable palm oil trees. As a humane society, we need to boycott products that contain palm oil! Please try to make your lives reflect thinking human beings that care about the environment and ALL the inhabitants thereof! NO MORE PALM OIL!!
Hi Dawn, thanks for your comment. I appreciate your information and concern. There are most definitely alternative chocolate-hazelnut spreads that can be used in this recipe in place of Nutella for those concerned about palm oil.
Ahh Rachel, I need you to stop with all these cookies. I can’t take it! I want these so bad. You should just turn these in for your thesis haha :)
These cookies are incredible, Rachel! That gooey chocolate is killing me! <3
You bake the best things Rachel! Drooling over these cookies!
That melted chocolate and nutella! So much deliciousness!
I should probably go finish my research paper, too…but after I make these cookies? ;)
These cookies look like the most delicious way possible to procrastinate thesis-writing! I am going to start writing my thesis in the summer and I’m scared to think of how many cookies I will snack on while writing!
Get outta here!!! These look fabulous! Love the addition of salt…it totally pushes chocolate chip cookies over the edge for me! Pinned!
These cookies CANNOT be real!! They look SO AMAZING! You’re right… there is NO need for explanation for these cookies! With these cookies anything is possible :)
Good luck for your Thesis too!
Oh my gosh these cookies look amazing! I’d much rather eat these than work on a thesis!!
They look like everything a cookie should be! Pure yum.
BEST COOKIES EVERRRRRR
The recipe says 1 cup 2 sticks of butter so I have to add 1 cup +2 sticks of butter
No, one cup = 2 sticks of butter! There were parentheses around the (2 sticks) before but my recipe editor must have gotten rid of them when I switched, I’ve added them back in now.
Would an oreo cookie work in place of the nutella? I’m looking for an oatmeal cookie recipe stuffed with an oreo cookie.
Yes for sure! Sounds delicious :)