These Nutella Stuffed Oatmeal Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies are loaded with dark chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt. Crunchy toasted hazelnuts and Nutella make these chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies even more drool worthy!
This is going to be short and sweet, 1) because my thesis needs to be turned into the printer tonight and I need to finish (OMG), and 2) because these cookies are so darn good they don’t need a whole lot of explanation. Let’s not dwell on that first point, alright?
Also – how much of a procrastinator does it make me sound like that I’m writing a post instead of my thesis? I just really had to share this cookie recipe. You guys were asking for it! We won’t dwell on that either.
Okay – let’s talk cookies. This cookie is seriously one of the gooiest I’ve ever tried, let alone ever made. That’s partially because I’ve been cutting abnormally large chunks of chocolate for cookies recently because it makes these gooey pools of chocolate in the cookies that is totally irresistible. So imagine this: pools of dark chocolate + a layer of melted Nutella through the center of an chewy, thick oatmeal cookie thats also studded with toasted hazelnuts and sprinkled with a bit of sea salt.
That, my friends, is a truly magical cookie. The toasted hazelnuts adds a nice nutty flavor and brings that flavor out in the Nutella as well. The oats keep the texture soft and on point, and the dough itself bakes up chewy and buttery, with just a little crunch around the edges.
The sprinkle of sea salt helps cut through the sweetness, but by this point you probably know if you’re someone who likes a little sea salt on their cookies or not, so feel free to skip it if salted cookies aren’t your thing. These cookies are a fun, decadent treat for anyone who loves Nutella…or chocolate…or cookies…so basically, anyone :) Time for me to finish my thesis…you go enjoy some cookies!!
Nutella Stuffed Oatmeal Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 8 oz. dark chocolate chopped
- ¾ cup hazelnuts toasted and chopped
- ½ cup Nutella or any chocolate hazelnut butter
- Flaky sea salt optional but recommended
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar, until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well blended, and then add the vanilla extract.
- Combine the oats, flour, baking soda, and salt. Add into the butter mixture and beat until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chunks and hazelnuts. Chill cookie dough, covered, for at least one hour or up to three days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and fill each cookie dough ball with about 1 teaspoon of Nutella. You can do this by flattening the dough and pressing it around the Nutella, or using a cookie scoop, make an indentation in the middle of the dough, place the Nutella in the indentation, and then cover with more cookie dough. Form the dough into balls and arrange about 3 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle cookies with flaky sea salt, if desired. Bake cookies for 12 minutes, or until just pale golden brown. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5 minutes and transfer to racks to cool completely.
Enjoy this recipe? Check out some of my similar favorites below!