These Gluten-Free & Vegan Miso Chocolate Chip Cookies will make your mouth water! The addition of miso to the cookies adds such a delicious, subtle umami flavor that will have everyone wondering what exactly is making these cookies so extra delicious!
- ½ cup (100g) refined coconut oil, softened, similar in texture to softened butter, can also use butter (vegan or dairy both work)
- ⅔ cup (96g) coconut sugar
- 1½ tablespoons white miso paste or other light miso
- 1 large egg or flax egg, room temperature or for vegan/to eat the dough, use a flax egg: mix 1 tablespoon flax meal + 2.5 tablespoons water and let gel for 10 minutes before using
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2¼ cups (220g) blanched almond flour
- 1 cup (6 ounces) dark chocolate chips, I used Raaka Maple Dark Chocolate Discs, use code BAKERITA20 for 20% off
- Flaky sea salt, to sprinkle on top, optional
- Mix together the coconut oil, coconut sugar, and miso paste until smooth. Add the egg or flax egg and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
- Add the almond flour and baking soda to the wet ingredients. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in the chocolate.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour (or up to 48 hours). You don’t NEED to refrigerate the dough if you don’t have time, but it’s recommended for the best flavor and texture.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Use a cookie scoop (using this size will give you 12 cookies, using this smaller size will give you about 20) to form cookies and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet; press down slightly. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt if desired. Bake for about 10 or until just beginning to turn golden brown around the edges.
- Store leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
You can find miso in the refrigerator section of your grocery store. I recommend a white or yellow miso for this recipe. To keep these soy-free, use chickpea miso.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Chill Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: miso cookies, chocolate chip cookies, white miso