These Mini Apple Berry Crumble Pies are bursting with tart, juicy berries and tender apple slices, topped with a delectably crunchy crumble topping! Serve with ice cream for the best treat.
This recipe was created as a part of my ongoing partnership with Delish.com. Click here to go straight to the recipe on their site (and hang around while you’re there – they have so many delicious recipes and articles!).
No. 1 on my list of favorite desserts is any kind of apple crumble. It’s the one dessert I have very little self-control over, and therefore always have to have people around when I make it lest it go straight from the pan to my mouth..
I’m not an apple crumble discriminator. I like it in many forms. Straight-up apple crumble with silky smooth apples and a crunchy, buttery topping always does the trick, and you can’t go wrong with an apple crumble pie, because who doesn’t love an extra layer of crust? Add berries to the equation and you have a warm, comforting dessert that is equally tart and sweet and crunchy and soft.
This particular version is perfection; especially for apple crumble aficionados like me. Also, they’re mini, which always makes me happy, but in this case gives an added bonus—the mini pies help a lot in the mess department. I made this pie full sized recently and while it was so good, it was also so messy. By making them in ramekins, you get everything you love about a full-sized pie, without the mess. You also get more crust and crumble, which I always think is a good thing.
I used a few types of berries: raspberries, blueberries, and tayberries. Use your favorite berries or whichever type you have on hand. Fresh or frozen will both work. As for the crust, homemade or premade are both fine. I used premade crust from Trader Joe’s for these and it’s so good! If you’re looking for a shortcut that doesn’t taste like one, the TJ’s frozen pie crust is the way to go. No one can ever tell it came from the freezer section, I promise.
Mini Apple Berry Crumble Pies
For the crumb topping
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup walnuts chopped
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter cold and cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two 4-inch ceramic ramekins with rolled out pie crust. Press crust into ramekins and repair any tears with extra pie crust. Place in freezer until ready to fill pie.
- For filling: Use a medium saucepan to combine apples and brown sugar. Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, until reduced and bubbling (apples should be slightly tender).
- Drain most juice from apples, and add berries, tapioca flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt and stir gently to combine.
- Make the crumble. Mix together all crumb ingredients except butter. Add butter and cut into mixture with pastry cutter or fork until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Remove pie crust from freezer and add apple-berry filling until ramekin is full. Add generous handful of crumble topping by packing it on.
- Bake for 25 minutes (the top of the pie should be starting to turn golden brown). Tent with foil and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until filling is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm.