Healthy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins made extra fluffy and topped with a delicious lemon glaze! Gluten-free, vegan, and perfect for a springtime breakfast or snack! Thanks to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post.
Say hello to refreshing lemon poppyseed muffins that make sunny mornings feel extra special. Did I mention the tart lemon glaze that gets drizzled on top? Major swoon moment!
These honestly might be my new favorite healthy muffin recipe. I love baking them on a Sunday to enjoy with coffee in the mornings all throughout the week. It’s all about the simple things right? 🙂
Healthy lemon poppyseed muffins
You won’t believe how tasty these muffins are all while being completely gluten-free and vegan! The texture is incredible thanks to the combination of gluten-free oat flour and blanched almond flour.
Together they make a tender muffin that isn’t dry at all! I used Bob’s Red Mill brand for both flours, which has always been my favorite for the best quality. I use their flours exclusively in my cookbook and can always trust they’re certified gluten-free.
More reasons to love these muffins:
- light and fluffy
- frosted with a zesty glaze
- tender & moist
- simple to make
- gluten-free + vegan
- 100% delicious!
Ingredients to make muffins
These lemon poppyseed muffins are full of nourishing, natural ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need to make them:
- Cashew Butter: I love using cashew butter to help add moistness and for the buttery flavor it has. You can sub other nut butters but I recommend cashew first!
- Coconut Sugar: you’ll need coconut sugar to keep these muffins refined sugar-free however regular brown sugar will work as well.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Unsweetened Apple Sauce: this helps keep the muffins moist and adds a natural sweetness!
- Refined Coconut Oil: make sure to melt the coconut oil in the microwave before measuring and using.
- Lemon Juice + Zest: you can use store-bought lemon juice or fresh from about 2 lemons! The juice and zest adds a classic tart flavor.
- Gluten-Free Oat Flour: The oat flour adds a slight nutty flavor while also creating a tender, moist muffin in combination with the almond flour. You can also use Bobs Redmill gluten-free rolled oats & blend them to create a flour!
- Blanched Almond Flour: Make sure to use super-fine blanched almond flour to create the best muffin texture.
- Flax Meal: A little ground flaxseed meal for healthy fats and slight nutty flavor!
- Poppy Seeds
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda
- Sea Salt
How to make Vegan Lemon Glaze
The vegan lemon glaze is the best part! It has a slight tart, refreshing flavor and is the true star of these lemon poppyseed muffins. The ingredients are simple, dairy-free, and lightly sweetened from the maple. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Coconut butter, melted
- Lemon juice
- Maple Syrup
- Almond milk, warmed
You’ll first whisk together the melted coconut butter, lemon juice, and maple syrup. Then slowly add in almond milk, one tablespoon at a time until a glaze texture is reached. So simple to whip up and delicious!
Want more healthy lemon recipes?
Thanks so much to my friends at Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post, and thank you readers for supporting the brands that allow me to do this full-time! If you end up making them, please leave a review in the comments below and let me know what you thought. xoxo!Print
Healthy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins made extra fluffy and topped with a delicious lemon glaze! Gluten-free, vegan, and perfect for a springtime breakfast or snack!
For the muffins
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk, or dairy-free milk of choice
- ¼ cup raw cashew butter, or other nut or seed butter
- ¼ cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, from 1 large lemon or 2 small lemons
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest, from about 2 lemons
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free oat flour
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
For the lemon glaze
- ¼ cup coconut butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 to 4 tablespoons almond milk, warmed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or grease with coconut oil.
- Combine the applesauce, almond milk, coconut sugar, cashew butter, coconut oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest, stirring to combine. Warm slightly in the microwave if the coconut oil seizes up.
- Add oat flour, almond flour, flax meal, poppy seeds, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Divide between the 12 muffin tins. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Once done, let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the glaze: in a small bowl, whisk together the coconut butter, maple syrup, and lemon juice. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of the warmed almond milk, until smooth. Continue to add almond milk and whisking to thin it out to your desired consistency. Spoon over the muffins. Garnish with more poppy seeds, if you want.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months. I like to freeze and heat a muffin in the microwave when I want it!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast