This Dark Chocolate Pretzel Toffee is a quick and easy recipe that makes a perfect last minute gift! It takes 4 ingredients & a few ingredients to prepare.
I’m way behind. I’ve been one of those crazed shoppers who procrastinated way too long and has now almost gotten into about 7 car accidents in parking lots in the past two days.
And I’m still not done. The thought of going to the mall has been sending fear through me and I haven’t gotten up the courage to go yet. I’d rather stay at home and bake than fight the other procrastinators for that last scarf, thank you very much.
Thankfully, some of my giftees aren’t getting mall-bought gifts, but delicious, Bakerita kitchen-made gifts. One of the things I’m giving out this year is this toffee. It’s my twist on the classic saltine toffee.
Saltines have been traded out for pretzels, and I nixed the nuts for a generous, elegant sprinkle of fleur de sel. The dark chocolate mellows out the super-sweetness of the toffee. And stacked up, wrapped in cellophane with a gorgeous bow, well, this is a gift no one would turn out. Oh, and want it to be gluten-free? Easy – just use gluten free pretzels. Perfection.
Hope you’re all doing better than me in the procrastination department, and if you’re not, well – you can always give out toffee! :)Print
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 cups small pretzel twists (can also use GF)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Fleur de sel (or another course sea salt, for sprinkling)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. On a greased and lined baking sheet, lay out the pretzels in a flat layer, breaking pieces so pretzels cover the whole pan. Set aside.
- Place butter and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil and let boil for 2-3 minutes or until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and pour evenly over the pretzels.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until bubbling. Remove from oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. Let sit for five minutes or until they are shiny and melted, and spread over the toffee. Sprinkle with fleur de sel (however much you’d like!) and let cool completely. Break into pieces and serve!