Dark Chocolate Almond Meringue Cookies (GF)
These Dark Chocolate Almond Meringue Cookies are studded with sliced almonds for a sweet treat that’s naturally gluten-free and totally delicious!
Dark chocolate. Almonds. Crispy. Chewy. Melt-in-your-mouth. Rich. Light. Fudgy. Somehow, all these words perfectly describe this cookie. It’s an experience in and of itself. It’s naturally gluten-free, no substitutions needed to be made. This is just how it is supposed to be, and it’s glorious.
I was first introduced to this sort of cookie when I was working at Claire’s on Cedros, in the bakery. Claire used to make a recipe super similar to this, but she used powdered sugar, and cocoa powder, I think. To be honest, I don’t completely remember the recipe, even though I used to make them, but those cookies were darn good and had always been one of my favorite treats from the bakery.
I was reintroduced to these cookies while staying at my friend Mariah’s house a few weeks ago. Her mom is gluten-free and had a similar style meringue cookie sitting on the counter. Between three friends and I, we polished off the box of cookies…and they were big cookies. I knew I wanted to recreate them at home, but had sort of forgotten about them because I hadn’t put them on my handy “to-bake” list.
However, after making my mom’s birthday cake (which you’ll see next post) and being left with three egg whites, I remembered them. I kind of improvised on the recipe, using granulated sugar instead of powdered, like we did in the restaurant, and adding in a ton of melted chocolate instead of the cocoa powder for a fudgier, chewier cookie. A full cup of sliced almonds gives them some bite and makes for a fuller cookie. And the crust as these came out of the oven…wow. You know that shattery crust that is on top of all the best brownies? The shiny, perfect layer that all brownie recipes strive for? Well, imagine that as an encasement for a cookie. It’s wonderful! All in all, this is one of my new go-to gluten free cookies, along with last weeks Chocolate Fudge Crinkle Cookies! If you happen to get stuck with some egg whites…be sure to make these. You will most definitely not regret it!
- 3 egg whites (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 9 ounces dark chocolate (melted and cooled to room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sliced almonds (or chopped nuts of choice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat egg whites, slowly adding in sugar, until the mixture holds soft peaks and resembles marshmallow creme.
- Add in chocolate, vanilla and almonds and mix on low until combined. The batter should be thick.
- On a lined baking sheet, drop spoonfuls of batter about 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool for about 5 minutes on baking sheet, and then transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy!