These Coconut Sugar Cookies are soft, chewy, and full of delicate coconut flavor. These delicious cookies are loaded with coconut goodness and no refined sugar! They’re gluten-free and vegan too!
Wow, it’s been a while since I posted a recipe! I’m getting nearer and nearer to the end of my time in London, and it’s making me sad! Though I miss my family, friends, and my kitchen immensely, my time abroad has been indescribable, and I’m going to miss it everyday.
On the plus side…when I get back, I’ll have tons of new recipes to share with you as my recipe notebook has been growing incredibly rapidly since I’ve been without a kitchen. I’m beyond excited to be able to bake again, and create tons of new treats to share with you guys. As much as I’ve loved sharing my travel updates, I miss sharing homemade baked goods a ton.
These coconut sugar cookies are for the true coconut aficionados in your life – they’re made with coconut oil, coconut sugar, coconut flour, and coconut milk. The frosting uses coconut cream, coconut oil, coconut milk, and toasted coconut. That a lot of coconut, but the flavor comes across as more delicate coconut flavor, not the artificial coconut flavor that so many of us are used to. This is a coconut cookie, no doubt about it, but the coconut flavor is very naturally sweet and tastes truly of fresh coconut.
I used coconut sugar in these cookies, which contribute to the dark color of them. If you can’t find coconut sugar, or don’t want to buy it just for this recipe, you can use regular granulated sugar instead, and the cookies will be lighter in color and may spread a little bit more. They would still be absolutely delicious though!
I adapted this recipe from Yammie’s Gluten Freedom (one of my favorite GF dessert blogs!), and though I changed her recipe a bit, she discusses a lot of possible substitutions for various fats and flours, so head over to her post if you’re curious about changing some of the ingredients to fit your needs.
I’m going to be gone for the next few weeks (traveling to Marrakech, Madrid, Barcelona, and Florence!) but I have posts scheduled to go up while I’m gone! Hope you’re all enjoying the gorgeous spring weather (as long as your city is lucky enough to be warming up, finally!), and I’ll talk to you all soon! xoxo
Coconut Sugar Cookies (Gluten-Free, Vegan, Refined Sugar-Free)
- 1 cup coconut sugar or regular sugar if you can't find coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup white rice flour
- ⅓ cup coconut flour or another 3/4 cup more rice flour
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and coconut oil. Add the milk and vanilla and mix until well combined. Stir together the dry ingredients in separate bowl and add to the wet ingredients. Stir until combined. Dough should be moist and fluffy.
- Allow to sit on the counter for a few minutes while you preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place rounded tablespoonfuls on greased or parchment lined baking sheets and bake for about 10 minutes or until the cookies are set in the middle is reached. Cool completely before frosting.
For the glaze
- Mix together coconut cream and coconut oil. Add in the honey to taste. Whisk together, adding milk until you reach the desired consistency. Spoon glaze over cooled cookies, top with toasted coconut if desired.
*Coconut cream is the creamy top part when you open a can of coconut milk when you haven't shaken or stirred it yet. Let a can of coconut milk sit in the refrigerator overnight, open the can (without shaking it), and measure out 1/4 cup of the coconut cream from the top.
Recipe adapted from Yammie’s Gluten Freedom
Enjoy this recipe? Check out some of my similar favorites below!
You might like these recipes too!