Chewy Gluten-Free Vegan Sugar Cookies
These Chewy Gluten-Free Vegan Sugar Cookies are quick and easy to make with just eight ingredients! They’re soft, chewy, and absolutely delightful. Perfect for the holidays, or whenever a sugar cookie craving strikes. Thanks to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post!
As I sit here writing this, my house is filled with the smell of vegan sugar cookies baking: the scents of sugar and vanilla weaving their way through my home and perfuming it with their delicious sweetness. Who needs candles when you have cookies? You all know I’m a friend for all things gluten-free cookies!
These fabulously easy and delicious sugar cookies are a new all-time champion around here. I’ve shared them with plenty of people — those who eat gluten-free and vegan, those who eat everything, those who love sugar cookies, and those who don’t. These have been a hit all around, garnering me lots of compliments, and the only complaints being that I hadn’t made enough.
We make these cookies with special ingredients that make them so good. For the flour, I use one of my favorites from Bob’s Red Mill: their paleo baking flour! It’s made with a combination of almond flour, arrowroot starch, coconut flour, and tapioca flour. The result is a cookie that is super chewy, soft, and completely delicious. However, I also tested with Bob’s Red Mill blanched almond flour, and that works fabulously as well! Cookies for everyone :D let’s get baking!!
What you need for these vegan sugar cookies:
- Coconut Oil: I like used refined for this to avoid any coconut flavor. If you prefer, virgin coconut oil works just as well.
- Cashew Butter: I find cashew butter to have the most neutral, buttery flavor and the lightest color, but any nut or seed butter will work here. Use sunflower seed butter or tahini for a nut-free option.
- Coconut or Cane Sugar: I tested with a blonde coconut sugar and raw cane sugar and both are delicious! If you use regular coconut sugar, you’ll have a slightly darker color than pictured. You’ll want a bit more sugar to roll the cookies in at the end, as well.
- Flax Eggs: made with a mix of flax meal and water. Use golden flax to avoid darker specks, if you care about that. You can also use one egg plus one yolk if you’re not worried about these being vegan/egg-free.
- Vanilla Extract: for flavor! A pinch of vanilla bean extract is wonderful in these too if you want to amp up the vanilla flavor.
- Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour: this baking flour by Bob’s Red Mill gives these such a chewy and delicious texture! If you can’t find it, you can use Bob’s Red Mill Blanched Almond Flour in it’s place, but you’ll need a bit extra, so notice the quantity difference in the recipe below!
- Baking Soda & Salt: always cookie must-haves, for the best flavor and texture!
Making the best gluten-free vegan cookies:
We love a recipe that’s easy to put together, and these are just that! They come together super easily, and if you’ve made cookies before, you know how this goes:
- Mix together the coconut oil, cashew butter, and sugar until well combined, then stir in the flax eggs and vanilla.
- Add in the Paleo Baking Flour, baking soda, and salt and stir until a smooth dough forms. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- Roll the cookies into balls and roll each ball in sugar. Place on the baking sheet, press down with the palm of your hand, and bake!
- Let cool for a few minutes, and enjoy!
Want more gluten-free vegan holiday cookies?
- Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Chewy Chai Sugar Cookies
- Seriously Good Gluten-Free Cookies
These Chewy Gluten-Free Vegan Sugar Cookies are quick and easy to make with just eight ingredients! They’re soft, chewy, and absolutely delightful. Perfect for the holidays, or whenever a sugar cookie craving strikes.
For the cookies
- 3 tablespoons (37g) refined coconut oil, softened with a texture similar to softened butter
- 3 tablespoons (48g) creamy cashew butter, or other creamy nut butter, I recommend avoiding peanut butter unless you want a peanut butter cookie
- ½ cup coconut sugar or raw cane sugar, use raw cane sugar or light coconut sugar for a light color
- 1 ½ flax eggs, see Notes
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (104g) Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour, or 1½ cups (148g) blanched almond flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
To roll the cookies in
- 3 tablespoons raw cane sugar or turbinado sugar
- In a large bowl, stir together the coconut oil, nut butter, and sugar until fully combined.
- Beat in the flax egg, then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients, the flour, baking soda, and salt, to the wet ingredients and stir together until completely combined.
- Place dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before forming balls to make it easier to work with – you can leave the dough in the fridge (covered) for up to 48 hours.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the sugar in a small bowl to roll the cookies in.
- Use a cookie scoop to make cookie dough balls, roll into a ball with your hands, and then roll each dough ball in the sugar mixture. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Press down slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for about 9 to 11 minutes in the preheated oven, depending on the size of your cookies, or until they’ve puffed and cracked. Let cool completely on the cookie sheet.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Keywords: gluten-free sugar cookies, holiday cookies, christmas cookies, vegan sugar cookies