Chocolate Chip Macaroons (Gluten Free, Paleo + Vegan)
These Chocolate Chip Macaroons are a heavenly snack or dessert – they taste like a cross between a coconut macaroon and a chocolate chip cookie! Plus, they’re gluten-free, Paleo, and vegan.
Being a baking blogger and recipe developer means I end up with a whole lot of baked goods around me. I’m constantly making and trying new treats, and in addition to what you see, there’s a lot of things that don’t make the site because they’re not good enough. But even with all that does make it here to be shared, certain things tend to stand out.
Obviously, I have my favorites. And considering how damn hungry editing the photos of these macaroons made me? These chocolate chip macaroons are definitely a new favorite. I’m highly considering making another batch of them tonight, but I’m nervous I’ll
definitely probably eat the whole batch, way too quickly, which would be highly reminiscent of these last few times I made these.
With just seven ingredients, these little bites of chocolate chip macaroon goodness pack a filling and very delicious punch. They also miraculously taste like a chocolate chip cookie meets macaroon hybrid, and though that wasn’t the intention of this recipe, it is surely a most welcome side benefit.
Let’s talk a little bit about what makes these so special:
- Though most traditional coconut macaroons use egg to bind, these chocolate chip macaroons use creamy almond butter as a binder. Trust me – it’s a wonderfully flavorful replacement and keeps these macaroons vegan! Note: if you don’t have almond butter or just prefer another nut butter, most nut butters or even sunflower seed butter should work, as long as it’s not too runny.
- Mini chocolate chips!! Because they’re so tiny, a small amount goes a long way. You can definitely use bigger ones though, the macaroons just might be a bit more delicate. I use the ones from Enjoy Life because they’re dairy, nut, and soy free. Yum! They also get melty at warm room temperature 😋
- These chocolate chip macaroons use unsweetened shredded coconut, not sweetened, and there’s only 2 tablespoons of maple syrup in the whole batch. Overall, they’re pretty darn low in sugar, making them a great filling snack.
They’re so simple, with pretty standard kitchen ingredients, but if you’re a macaroon lover like I am, I doubt you’ll be able to keep your hands off this simple cookie for long. I made a couple batches, and none of them lasted long enough to make it out of the house.
One of these chocolate chip macaroons is a perfect post-workout snack, lunchtime dessert, or lunchbox treat! If you’re a big fan of coconut and chocolate chips (because I’m obviously obsessed) I’m sure you won’t find it too hard to devour these…enjoy!
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!Print
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (90g unsweetened shredded coconut)
- ½ cup (128g) creamy almond butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (26g) coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup mini dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 275°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and stir until completely combined. The mixture should hold together in balls, but not be too crumbly.
- Using a cookie scoop or your hand, form tablespoon-sized balls and bake for 15 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for another 7-10 minutes or until the macaroons are light golden brown. Let cool completely before removing from the tray. Store leftovers at room temperature in a sealed ziplock bag.
**Make sure you’re using finely shredded coconut. Regular shredded coconut won’t stick together the way unsweetened, finely shredded coconut will. I recommend using Bob’s Red Mill brand for the best results.