This Cheesy English Muffin Bread is an easy to make bread that comes together quickly and is full of cheddar cheese! It bakes into a beautiful loaf that’s perfect for toasting.
Editing the pictures of this cheesy english muffin bread is making me seriously wish I had some more of it right now.
I’ve been loving making breads recently (you saw my blueberry bagels a few weeks ago, right?) and I especially love it since I’ve discovered instant yeast. Instead of having to proof yeast, which I always stressed out about, you just stir it in with the flour and add your hot liquid. Voila. Stress free!
I don’t like having to wait ages for my bread to be ready either – I don’t want to wait forever for the dough to rise, or double rise. Thankfully, this recipe has one rise, and it’s only 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the temperature of your kitchen. Less than a half hour of baking time and only a few minutes to stir things up leaves you enjoying this bread in less than 2 hours.
And enjoy this bread you would. Crisp and cheesy are the best words to describe that golden exterior crust, and the inside is super fluffy, with that awesome english muffin texture. The bubbles are smaller than what you see in a regular english muffin, but this bread definitely still has little nooks and crannies for your butter to melt into.
Of course, there’s also 2 cups of cheddar cheese dispersed throughout the loaf, giving the whole loaf a mild cheddar flavor and delicious melted cheese swirled throughout. Where the cheese really shines is the crust, so save the end pieces for yourself. They get cheesy and caramelized and it’s so so good.
Also, this bread slices easily and does great in the toaster. It makes the cheese liven up a bit and helps the slice get a delicious golden brown crispy crust. Top with your butter, or cream cheese, or whatever you want really.
ORRR make a grilled cheese! <— you should totally do that. I wanted to, but the bread was gone before I got the chance. But, if you make this, make a grilled cheese, and send me pics.
Speaking of sending pics, sorta, I love to see when you guys make my stuff! A lot of you tag me on Instagram (bakeritablog), but I also use the hashtag #bakerita, so tag your stuff and tag me so I see everything! Especially that grilled cheese ^^ enjoy!
Cheesy English Muffin Bread
- 3 cups 12.75 oz all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Lightly grease an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and instant yeast.
- Combine the milk, water, and oil in a separate, microwave-safe bowl or liquid measuring cup, and heat to between 120°F and 130°F. If you don't have a thermometer, the liquid should feel hotter than warm, but not so hot that is it uncomfortable to touch.
- Pour the hot liquid over the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Beat at high speed for 1 minute. The dough will be very soft. Add cheese and mix on low to combine.
- Scoop the soft dough into the pan and spread it out evenly. Cover the pan, and let the dough rise till it's just barely over the top of the pan. This will take about 45 minutes to 1 hour, if you heated the liquid to the correct temperature and your kitchen isn't very cold.
- While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove the cover, and bake the bread for 22 to 27 minutes, until it is golden brown and the interior temperature is 190°F. If you do not have an thermometer, the bread will sound hollow if you knock on the bottom of the pan when it is done.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Let the bread cool completely before slicing.
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour