This Chai Spice Granola is a quick and simple granola recipe with tons of chai spice flavor. It’s gluten-free, vegan, and makes the perfect breakfast or snack.
One of my favorite things to make is granola. It’s quick, simple, and at this point, ritualistic for me to make. It’s so easy to customize homemade granola to accommodate which ingredients you have on hand, the flavor varieties seem endless (check out my list of granola recipes for a start), and best of all: your house will smell like an absolute dream.
Last year in college, when I lived with five other girls, the smell of me making granola would always drag them out of bed in the morning. They would come in wondering what I was making that smelled so good, and it would always bum them out to see it was granola. Because the granola I make? It’s mine. It’s one of the few things I make that I don’t share, unless it’s being made for a specific person (you’re welcome, family). Of course, I would always let them steal a handful – I’m not a monster.
I had the thought to make a chai spice granola a few weeks ago, and I haven’t been able to get the idea out of my head since. I’ll be honest, one of the main drivers was that I knew my apartment would smell like a chai tea latte while it baked and I was all sorts of okay with that.
I wanted this chai spice granola to have big chunks, so I skipped stirring the granola at all while it was in the oven. Instead, I pressed it down firmly in the pan before it went in, baked it low and slow until crunchy and golden, and then the hardest part – let it cool completely before you touch it.
I’m normally one of those people whose eaten a quarter of the granola before it’s cool, so not touching it while my house smelled so delicious was self-inflicted torture. But after a half hour, I was rewarded with big clusters of homemade, spiced, crunchy granola. It was worth it!
As I mentioned, granola is super customizable. Switch up the nuts, or use honey instead of maple syrup. Just keep the dry to liquid ratio in tact, and you’ll have delicious granola on your hands. Serve with Greek yogurt and berries like I do every single morning, some milk, or just snack on it. Enjoy!
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!Print
- 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup pecans (coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, coconut, pecans, and almonds. In a separate bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together the coconut oil, maple syrup, spices, salt, and vanilla extract. Pour over the dry ingredients and stir until the dry ingredients are all moistened. Spread the granola in an even layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and press down with the back of a spatula.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through to ensure the granola bakes evenly. When it is browned and feels dry to the touch, remove from the oven. If want big chunks of granola, let the granola cool completely before disturbing so you get big clusters.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
- Category: Breakfast