Browned Butter Cranberry Lime Muffins
The unexpected flavor combination in these Cranberry Lime Muffins is what make them so delicious! A perfect balance of tart and sweet that you’ll love!
I have a fixation with sports. I’ve never really been the best player, perhaps, but on the sidelines cheering? I’ve always been a fan.
Oh, and you mess with my teams? You’re going down like a submarine. I yell, scream, lick, jump, and cheer my butt off for my team. I’m probably that insanely intense because of my eleven years of cheerleading, but it doesn’t stop me from being the loudest, most obnoxious person in a crowd of screaming fans.
You’re probably wondering why in the heck I’m talking about sports on a baking blog. You have valid reason to be utterly confused. Wanna know the reason?
LCC GAME. This is most likely meaningless to you, but it carries heavy weight if you’re an attendant or graduate of Torrey Pines High School. TP game carries the same weight for La Costa Canyon fans. See, I’m a senior at Torrey Pines High School. Pretty much everyday for four years, TP students get it drilled into their heads how much better they are than LCC kids. It’s a rivalry beyond rivalries. Black versus white. Literally. Every year, LCC dresses their ENTIRE CROWD in white, and we do the same thing with ours, but in black.
It’s insanity. It’s crazy. It’s amazing. I love it.
Every year the host of the game switches off. This year, tonight, it’s a home game for us, being held at Torrey Pines. Our football team has yet to lose a game this season, LCC on the other hand hasn’t been doing so hot. Usually they kill us, but our football players have been gearing up for months, ready to kick some Maverick butt. Falcon’s V. Mavericks: who will the champ be?
I’m cringing to know the answer. I’m shaking in anticipation. I am not exaggerating. Tonight will be utter insanity at the Torrey Pines football field. If we don’t win, their will be guaranteed breakdowns, crying football players and cheerleaders everywhere, screaming fans, and fuming coaches. Really. And when we win, LCC fans will go crazy.
(Really, they’re like that. They’re insane! Before our basketball game last year, they had a bonfire and burned all of our starting player’s pictures…weird voodooness right there…)
Anyways, yeah, LCC is insane. I could tell you multiple stories (like when they vandalized all the TP cheerleader’s cars) but that would take too long. And you’re hear to read about food, not football.
So…moving on to delicious food.
I made muffins. They’re too good. Seriously…the tartness of the cranberries is perfectly balanced by the lime’s sourness and the sweetness of the sugar. The browned butter gives a whole other layer of complexity to the flavor profile and the muffins carry a perfect moistness. They have a very delicate crumb and just seem to float along your tongue. Even my dad, who only likes chocolate, was raving about them. And they were made by Joy The Baker, whose pretty much a goddess in the food blogging world. So…get into your kitchen and whip these up. They’re super easy too, if I hadn’t already convinced you. Enjoy!
Oh, and look forward to my next post for some TP pride and our inevitable winning score against LCC. :)Print
Browned Butter Cranberry Lime Muffins
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- 7 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup white sugar, for topping
- Put a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with paper or foil liners
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Keep an eye on the butter. Melt and cook down the butter until little brown bits appear in the pan. The crackling will subside and butter will begin to brown fairly quickly after that. Keep a close eye. Remove from heat.
- Whisk milk, egg, yolk, vanilla and lime zest until combined. Add the brown butter and whisk to combine.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add milk and butter mixture all at one and stir gently to combine. Gently but thoroughly fold in the cranberries.
- Divide the batter among muffin cups and spread evenly. Sprinkle generously with white sugar.
- Bake until golden and crisp and a wooden pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes then remove from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Keywords: muffins, cranberry, breakfast, dessert, browned butter, lime, bread
Adapted from Joy The Baker
Your muffins look delicious!
For the past three days, our school has been hosting a volleyball tournament, so I’m also full of school spirit at this point. Good luck to your team!
Can i come to the game with you tonight if I make it home from schoooll!!?
HOLY LORD. those look so moist and delish….would take those for breakfast any day!
Here ya go! Lucky number 60! Looking forward to seeing what else you have in store.
Congrats on landing the job!
I JUST had a lime-cranberry epiphany the other day and have been trying to figure out how to try out the combination. LOVE THIS!
Thanks, Karen! I’m craving them again after talking about them in my most recent post :) it’s an AMAZING flavor combo!