These Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars were made with fresh picked blueberries for the ultimate summer dessert!
Gosh, it’s been a while. I realize I’ve been MIA, and for that I’m sorry, but life has taken over. I’ve still been baking (obsessively, of course) but most of the recipes have been repeats of things I’ve already posted (Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake, anyone?). I also just received a camera for my 18th birthday which was last week. I’m now the proud owner of a Canon Rebel T3I! Thanks Mom :)
So, due to school, friends, homework, and requests for baked goods I’ve already posted…I’ve gotten a bit behind on creating new things for you guys. I really am sorry. Hopefully, as school picks up and routine sets in, I’ll be ever more innovative and create some magical treats for you. As of now, I share with you the one non-repeat recipe I’ve made so far – blueberry oatmeal crumble bars. Yum, right?
A few weeks back, my friend Nicole, my roommate Amy and I all set out on an adventure with one of the clubs on campus to go blueberry picking! We headed over to the most adorable blueberry farm where we were able to pick as many blueberries as we could find and take them home, all for free! I was so excited about this…I had never even seen a blueberry bush, none the less picked from them myself.
We set our sights on making blueberry pie but after my failed attempt at getting all the ingredients (I forgot pie crust ingredients…oops) we needed to reevaluate. Food Gawker and Taste Spotting offered up plenty of tasty options, but my heart was set on the Blueberry Oatmeal Crumb Bars from Pink Parsley (also, we had no eggs; it was a bad grocery store trip). Oh boy, as soon as these came out of the oven…they didn’t last long. I hoarded about 3, but the rest were gone within an hour or two. It’s confirmed: nothing with freshly picked blueberries in it can turn out badly.
Please, if blueberry picking is an option where you live, gather some friends or family and make these. It’s fun, relaxing, and I promise, the results will make you beyond happy. Enjoy, and I promise to supply you with more recipes ASAP!
P.S. don’t mind the Hipstamatic, not exactly high quality pics…I had yet to receive my camera and it was the best option!
Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars
For the Blueberry Filling
- To make the filling, place berries in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the berries are soft and tender, 8-10 minutes. Add the sugar and cornstarch to the berries, and bring to a boil. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients for the crust and crumble topping. Pulse in 1-second intervals until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. If you don't have a food processor, combine all ingredients using a pastry blender or two forks until all combined and resembling coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 1/2 cups for the topping, then press the rest of the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Use a spoon to drop dollops of the berry filling over the crust, and use a spatula to spread the mixture over the entire surface.
- Use your fingers to squeeze together clumps of the remaining crumble topping, and sprinkle evenly over the berry filling.
- Bake until golden-brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely before slicing and serving, or serve cobbler-style by scooping with a spoon. Enjoy!