This Blueberry Cornbread is a sweeter take on traditional cornbread with fresh blueberries and sweet corn kernels. It’s baked in a skillet and served with whipped cinnamon honey butter.
Hi, I’m back with more cornbread goodness. I know, if you follow the happenings around here, I brought you these green chile corn muffins not too long ago, and here I am with another cornbread recipe for you.
But this one is so different from those…I couldn’t help sharing both recipes. Where those muffins are totally delicious, they’re also definitely savory: they get their flavor from green chiles, cheddar cheese, and creamed corn. Yum for sure, but sometimes you want cornbread with a sweet edge.
That’s where this blueberry cornbread comes in. It brings cornbread into definite breakfast territory. It would also be a rockin’ snack, or dessert (with vanilla bean ice cream + honey, if you’re smart 👌👌👌).
Because flavored butters make anything better, I whipped up a quick honey cinnamon butter to serve with the cornbread. And, uh, make the butter. It takes the blueberry cornbread from great to irresistible, especially if you did yourself the favor of warming the cornbread up a bit before serving.
This cornbread recipe is kept soft and moist with Greek yogurt. It’s definitely not overly sweet, but the blueberries help out with that by giving little bursts of flavor and sweetness. I love corn kernels in my cornbread, so I also added whole sweet corn kernels. Paired with the blueberries, they give a homey and delicious twist – I’m also super into the texture they add.
Speaking of texture – I baked this in a skillet because I am all about those crispy edges that you can only really get from cast iron. If you’re into softer edges or don’t have a cast iron, just bake in a regular square pan. No sweat!
This recipe is super easy and will come together in just a few minutes. It bakes quickly, and it’s even better warm. It also keeps well for a few days. When serving, 15 seconds in the microwave and a slather of cinnamon honey butter do wonders for this blueberry cornbread. Enjoy!
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!Print
- 2 cups (10 oz) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (5 oz) yellow cornmeal
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup whole milk
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (11 oz) whole corn kernels, drained
- 1 cup blueberries
For the cinnamon honey butter
- ½ cup salted butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 10” cast iron skillet or a 9″ square baking pan.
- Whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk the greek yogurt, sugar, milk, melted butter, and eggs together until smooth. Gently fold the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the corn kernels and blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and smooth the top. Bake until cornbread is golden yellow, about 17-20 minutes. Don’t over bake – you don’t want your cornbread to be dry! Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- For the cinnamon honey butter, stir together all of the ingredients until fully combined. Serve with cornbread.
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert