This Apple Berry Crisp is the perfect fall treat. The tender apples and sweet berries pair perfectly with the buttery oatmeal pecan crisp topping. This easy comfort dessert is sure to be a crowd pleaser!
I get asked a lot what my favorite dessert is, and while I always hesitate and think about it for a while, the answer always ends up the same: anything with apples in it. I’m a huge sucker for apple desserts, and of all the apple desserts, ones that are piled high with crisp or crumble topping top the list. Add in pecans or oats, and I’m in heaven. Oooh, and with caramel sauce – like my caramel apple crisp? Always a winner.
So…while I definitely can’t make apple crisp frequently for fear of devouring it ALL to myself, it’s the one thing I MUST make every fall. A while back, my housemate Olivia was talking about a crisp her mom made, Bumbleberry Crisp, which was apples mixed all up with a bunch of berries. It sounded amazing, and served as the inspiration for this recipe.
Here in Washington, berries are mostly out of season and definitely not very affordable anymore, so I used a bag of frozen mixed berries in this crisp. If you want to use fresh berries, that would also be delicious, but frozen worked perfectly! I used a mix of strawberries and blueberries, but use your favorites. I’m dreaming of a version with raspberries and blackberries!
The crumble topping is buttery and crispy, and the oatmeal and pecans add just the right amount of texture. I’m a firm believer that you can never have enough crumble topping (case in point: pumpkin crumb cake) and this apple berry crisp is definitely not lacking in the “crisp” department.
The crisp begs to be served warm with ice cream, and I love how homey and rustic it looks served up in the cast iron skillet. Of course, a regular square pan will be just fine as well if you don’t have one. This apple berry crisp more than satisfied my apple crisp craving, and is sure to make any apple dessert lover happy. Enjoy!
- 4 apples (sliced (I used Honeycrisp & Granny Smith))
- 12 oz. bag frozen mixed berries
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the crisp topping
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10″ cast iron skillet or a 9×9″ square baking pan with butter.
- In a bowl, stir together apple, frozen berries, brown sugar and cinnamon, until well coated.
- Place the apple mixture in the prepared skillet. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix, together the ingredients for the topping. Cut the butter into the mixture with a pastry cutter or a spoon, until the the butter is mostly incorporated and it has started to come together into crumbles. Sprinkle crumble topping evenly on top of the apple mixture.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the apples are done. Check the crisp around 30 minutes – tent with foil if the topping is beginning to get too brown.
- If the apples are rather juicy, you might have to drain off the excess juices halfway through baking. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Purple Foodie