This Vegan Tempeh BLT Sandwich features easy-to-make tempeh bacon in a simple marinade, loaded onto bread with tomatoes, lettuce, and if you want, avocado! It’s a quick and easy vegan dinner recipe, made in under 30 minutes.
For the tempeh
- 1 (8oz.) package tempeh
- ¼ cup tamari
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
For the sandwich
- 4 slices of bread, gluten-free if necessary
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 2 crisp Romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 sliced avocado, optional
- Condiments of choice
For the tempeh
- Slice the tempeh thinly. Lay the tempeh in a shallow but wide dish.
- In a bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together the tamari, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, maple syrup, smoked paprika, and cumin. Pour over the tempeh and let marinate for at least 10 minutes, or up to a few hours.
- Once marinated, heat about 2 tablespoons avocado oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the tempeh. Cook until golden and crispy on one side, about 3 minutes, and then flip and crisp the other side. Repeat until all tempeh is cooked, then remove from heat.
- Toast your bread if desired. Spread on the condiments of your choice, and then top with the tempeh slices, tomato, lettuce, and any other toppings you like.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!
If you have any leftover tempeh, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a few days. To reheat, warm it gently over the stove for a few minutes.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: tempeh, vegan, tempeh bacon, sandwich, blt, avocado, gluten-free bread