This Vegan Shephard’s Pie is a hearty, comforting dinner that’s perfect for chilly nights. Made with lentils for protein, sauteed vegetables, and topped off with creamy mashed potatoes, this is vegan comfort food at it’s finest.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 minutes (exact time will depend on how small you cut the cubes). Drain and mash well, reserving some of the cooking water.
- Mix in vegan butter and garlic and mash to combine. If you want to thin out the potatoes, add in some of the cooking water to reach your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C.)
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add onion and diced carrots and cook until onions are clear, about 5 minutes. Add the diced mushrooms and cook until well browned and any liquid has evaporated. Stir in the garlic, peas, cooked lentils, thyme, and arrowroot powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk the miso paste with a small amount of broth, and then add the miso mixture, tomato paste, and broth to the sautéing vegetables. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread the filling in an even layer on the bottom of an 8×8” pan or similarly sized casserole dish. Top with the mashed potato mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Serve immediately.
- After baking, let the pan cool to room temperature, then cover and wrap tightly and place in the freezer for up to 2 months. When ready to eat, reheat the shepherd’s pie for 1 hour in a 350ºF oven. If you thaw it in the fridge the night before, you can reheat in the oven for 30 minutes.
Keywords: shepherd's pie, vegan dinner, lentils, mashed potatoes