This Vegan Mushroom Wild Rice Soup is cozy, comforting, and so simple to make in under an hour using just one pot! It’s the perfect healthy vegan dinner for chilly nights. It’s loaded with mushrooms, wild rice, and vegetables.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced, any variety will do – I used a mix of white , cremini and oyster mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup uncooked Bob’s Red Mill Wild & Brown Rice
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour, arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Handful of fresh, chopped parsley, optional
- Heat the oil to a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat and then add the shallot, onion, celery, and carrots; cook until shallots and onions are translucent and the veggies are cooked, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the veggies from the pot and put into a separate bowl.
- Add another tablespoon of oil and add all of the sliced mushrooms. Cook mushrooms for 5 minutes or until they become soft and lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for one minute more.
- Add the cooked vegetables back into the pot, along with the broth, coconut milk, and dried thyme. Bring to a simmer and then add the wild and brown rice. Let it cook for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked.
- Remove a small amount of broth from the soup and put it in a small bowl. Whisk in the tapioca flour and then add it all back into the pot, stirring constantly while the soup thickens up. It should be rich and creamy. If you want it even thicker, you can repeat with another tablespoon of tapioca flour to reach your desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the chopped parsley just before serving. Serve hot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: soup, mushroom soup, wild rice, brown rice, wild rice soup, vegan soup, vegan dinner