Gluten-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
This Gluten-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp combines tart rhubarb with sweet strawberries, loaded with a pistachio crumble topping. This crisp is also vegan and refined sugar-free.
Spring is almost here! You can feel it in the air. I’ve been treasuring the extra hours of sunlight after a very long and dark Seattle winter. There have been more sunny days scattered between the rain, flowers are starting to peek out from the ground, and hopefully, the sad, bare trees will start turning green again any day now.
But what’s really making me jump up and down for spring is the return of fresh fruits and veggies! When I spotted rhubarb at the grocery store a few weeks ago, I jumped on it. I immediately started thinking of all the rhubarb desserts I could make this spring.
My love for rhubarb is relatively new. I hadn’t really used the veggie much until last year, but after making this Berry Rhubarb Pie and Caramel Rhubarb Cake, I fell in love with the tart flavor it brings to any treat you add it to. I’ve been anxiously awaiting its arrival this season, and my first rhubarb dessert doesn’t disappoint!
Let’s make Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp!
Strawberries and rhubarb are a classic combination, and for good reason: the sweetness of the strawberries pairs so deliciously with the tart rhubarb. For this crisp filling, we toss strawberries and rhubarb with maple syrup for sweetness, add a little bit of lemon to brighten the flavors, and mix in tapioca flour to help thicken things up a little bit.
We make amazing gluten-free pistachio crumble topping to pile on top of the fruit. Then, we’ll bake it all together until it’s golden brown and bubbling. We make the topping with almond and coconut flour, and sweeten it with both coconut sugar and maple syrup. The pistachios add crunch and color, but you can substitute any nut you’d like or have on hand.
This strawberry rhubarb crisp is a pretty guilt-free dessert – it’s gluten-free, vegan, and Paleo-friendly! In fact, you could totally have this crisp for breakfast. Top it off with some coconut cream or a bit of yogurt and you’ll be in healthy breakfast heaven!
Make sure you find some rhubarb while it’s around, and while you’re at it, stock some up in the freezer so you can have rhubarb treats all year round! What fruits and veggies are you looking forward to this Spring?
Want more gluten-free rhubarb recipes?Print
This Gluten-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp combines tart rhubarb and sweet strawberries, topped with a pistachio crumble topping! This crisp is also vegan and refined sugar-free.
- 2 cups rhubarb, diced
- 2 cups strawberries, diced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
For the crumble
- 1¾ cups (7 oz) almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, solid at room temperature
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios or nut of choice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8×8” pan or 10” cast iron skillet with coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt, and tapioca flour. Stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan.
- In large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, cinnamon, and coconut sugar. Whisk to combine. Add the coconut oil and using a pastry cutter or two forks, work the coconut oil into the dry ingredients until the coconut oil is in little bits. Add the maple syrup and toss to combine until the mixture sticks together. Stir in pistachios.
- Top the fruit with the crumble mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling and the top is lightly browned. Serve with coconut whipped cream!
Keywords: strawberry rhubarb crumble, strawberry rhubarb crisp, gluten-free crisp, gluten-free crumble