Spiced Apple Tart (GF + Vegan)
This Spiced Apple Tart features cinnamon and nutmeg spiced apples nestled in an oatmeal-almond crust. This gluten-free and vegan dessert is healthy enough to double as breakfast!
Apples are, no doubt, one of my favorite ingredients to use (clearly – take a look at all my apple recipes!) and definitely one of my favorite things to eat. And eat a lot of them I do! There’s days where apples slathered with a little almond butter replaces meals. It’s the perfect treat, fills me right up, and they’re so delicious.
I cannot get enough of the giant Honeycrisp apples they sell at the grocery store near me, and that’s what I used in this recipe! Honeycrisp’s are my favorite, and I love the slightly tart edge they have. The flavor tasted so succulent with the aromatic spices. Use your favorite apple here though – any kind will be amazing.
I love to cut my apples suuuper thinly. I end up with a giant mound of thin, sweet apple slices. Slicing the apples super thin is important for this recipe too! It helps the apples cook more quickly, getting them tender and soft and juicy while that crust browns. It also helps distribute all the spicy goodness evenly throughout the tart.
The best thing about this tart was how guilt-free it is to eat. It’s definitely healthy enough to snack on for breakfast, but also delicious enough to devour for dessert. May I suggest you pair with some ice cream (dairy free, for you vegans)?
The crust is a mixture of mainly almond flour and oats, sweetened with a touch of maple syrup. It’s hearty, browns up perfectly in the oven, and provides the perfect platform for the apples. Lightly coated in a bit of maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg, the apples soften and sweeten in the oven, absorbing the spices and making your house seriously smell like a candle. And who doesn’t want that?!
This gluten-free, vegan spiced apple tart comes together in no time, and is sure to impress with it’s outstanding fall flavors and hearty crust. This is one treat you won’t feel guilty about! Enjoy.
For the crust
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil (solid)
For the apples
- 1 medium apple (sliced thin (I used Honeycrisp))
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Add the almond flour, oats, maple syrup, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl and mix until combined. Add the coconut oil and use your fingers to work it in until coarse crumbs form and the mixture holds together when pressed. Press into a greased 8-inch tart pan.
- Combine apple slices, cinnamon, nutmeg and maple syrup in a bowl. Toss together until apple slices are equally coated. Arrange apple slices on the tart crust.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the apples are tender and the crust is lightly brown. Let cool completely before slicing into wedges and serving.
Enjoy this recipe? Check out some of my similar favorites below!
You might like these recipes too!