Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
This Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie is a peanut butter lover’s dream!! The peanut butter cookie stays soft in the center while the edges get crispy, and a layer of peanut butter in the center takes this skillet cookie over the top.
Aloha from Kauai! If you had asked me on Saturday morning where I would be this week, I definitely wouldn’t have thought I’d be in Hawaii.
But, on Saturday morning, my sister texted me from the vacation house in Kauai she’d just arrived at with her boyfriend. They had two extra bedrooms, I had a voucher for a free flight, and a job that allows me to work from where ever I want. It was one of those times where it worked out too well for me to do anything but jump at the opportunity to escape the Seattle rain and soak in some sun rays in Hawaii.
This place is truly magical, and since I got here, I’ve continuously marveled at the tropical trees, singing birds, and the warmth that lives constantly in the air here. On Monday morning, we drove out and hiked down to Secret Beach, where we watched crazy giant 20-30 foot swells as we laid lazily on the beach, working on our tans. Or in my case, trying not to burn my skin that hasn’t seen the sun since last summer.
After that, we stopped at a fruit stand where we got a mango frosty (check out my Insta). This was not a sugary frosty – it was just frozen mango, grown on the property we were standing on, pressed through a juicer to create an ice cream-like treat that was made from the sweetest mangos I had ever tasted. It was the perfect treat in the sweltering heat…and I wish I had another one right now.
But even though I’m in Hawaii, having spent the day basking in the sun, I know most of America is dealing with freezing cold temps and snow all over the place (ugh, sorry about that). Snow doesn’t exactly make you want a mango frosty, does it? Luckily, this peanut butter chocolate chip skillet cookie is the perfect thing to warm you right up.
I’m a self proclaimed peanut butter-aholic, and even better if you can add chocolate to it. You don’t have to look far on this site to see a healthy collection of peanut butter or chocolate recipes, many of them combining the two flavors. And this skillet cookie combines them WONDERFULLY.
I made this peanut butter chocolate chip skillet cookie with my friend Shadi, who blogs over at Unicorns in the Kitchen. We had a good old time gussying up this skillet cookie, and for extra decadence, we added a layer of chocolate peanut butter in the middle.
My favorite thing about skillet cookies is the thickness of the cookie – by having it be so thick, you get gorgeously crispy edges while the middle stays soft and doughy…mmm! Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and you’ll be in peanut butter cookie heaven.
If you love chocolate and peanut butter like I do, then this skillet cookie is pretty much as good as Hawaii. Enjoy!
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!Print
- ½ cup unsalted butter (softened)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
- ¼ cup chocolate peanut butter (or you can use regular PB, or mix some melted chocolate into peanut butter!)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 5” cast iron skillet.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in peanut butter and vanilla extract. Beat in the egg until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add into the peanut butter mixture and beat until just mixed. Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Press half of the dough into the skillet. Spread the chocolate peanut butter evenly over the dough, leaving about 1/2” around the edge. Cover with the remaining dough.
- Place the skillet on a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Serve warm with ice cream!