This Low-Carb Paleo Chili is a bean-free, Whole30-approved, and Keto-friendly take on my award-winning best chili recipe! This hearty keto chili made with ground beef, sausage & bacon is so hearty and flavorful.
Since I updated my best chili recipe back in October with new, beautiful photos that show off how delicious it is, so many of you have been LOVING it. I knew that the recipe was a winner. But it was always overlooked, lurking in the back of my archives with less-than-impressive photos.
After it got a new look, it went NUTS on Pinterest. After only 3 months of being updated, it became my second most-viewed recipe of 2016. Of course, with all those people looking at it, a bunch of you made it too.
I’ve been inundated with messages from folks telling me that it’s the best chili they ever made. One reader, Jessica, brought it to her church chili cook-off, not even intending to compete with the folks who have been entering chili cook-offs for years…and she WON.
After I got that message, I knew the recipe was a winner, not just with me. After that, a whole bunch of other people also told me they won their chili cook-offs, converted their chili-despising kids and husbands, and found a new favorite chili recipe. Nothing flatters me more, guys.
So, when the Super Bowl was coming up, I was jonesing for a big bowl of my favorite chili. But…I was still in the midst of my Whole30, so no beans allowed. I also scoped out the chili powder in my cabinet and found a whole bunch of weird, unnecessary stuff in there.
So I got to work, and adapted my favorite chili recipe to be Paleo + Whole30 approved! It wasn’t too difficult and the result is nothing short of fabulous. My dad even said it’s BETTER than the original when he tasted it!
Let’s make my BEST chili recipe Paleo, Whole30 + Keto-friendly!
The main change was ditching the chili powder and still getting all the flavor. The spices list may look a little intimidating, but the combination of all those spices makes for an incredibly flavorful chili.
It also allows you to control the heat yourself, by using cayenne powder. I’m a bit of a spice wimp, so I didn’t use too much. However, if you like it hot, add as much as you can handle!
To lower the carb count and make this recipe paleo + Whole30-approved, we ditch the beans. You won’t be missing them between the bacon, the spices, and ALL the flavor packed into this paleo chili. However, if you’re craving more bulk, some sweet potatoes and/or carrots would be great in here too. We loved it as is.
Can you make this chili in the slow cooker?
Yes! I do make this recipe on the stovetop because then I don’t have to dirty any more pans after browning all the meats. However, if you’d prefer, many people have told me they’ve made it successfully in a slow cooker. If you’d like to do that, follow the first two steps as written. Then, add everything into the slow cooker to cook on low for at least four hours.
This makes a pretty big batch, so it’s perfect to do some meal prepping, especially if you’re on Whole30. This keto chili just gets better after a day or two in the fridge. The flavors meld together so well!
And when you’re serving, make sure you have some bacon to sprinkle over the top :D enjoy!
If you try it and love it, please leave a star rating and a comment down below — hearing from you is my favorite thing! Please tag me when you share your creation on social media @bakeritablog and #bakerita. I can’t wait to see your version!
- Want my traditional best chili recipe? Click here for my BEST CHILI.
- Craving the vegan version of my best chili recipe? Click here for my BEST VEGAN CHILI.
- Interested in the white bean vegan version? Click here for my WHITE BEAN VEGAN CHILI.
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef, I used leaner beef with 5% fat
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed, I used Spicy Italian from Trader Joe’s
- ½ pound bacon, ensure it’s sugar-free to stay Whole30 compliant
- 2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups beef stock, homemade or compliant brand, use bone broth for an even richer taste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1½ tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
- In a different pan, cook the bacon until crispy. Crumble and add to stock pot. Cook the chopped onion and pepper in the bacon drippings for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add to the stock pot.
- To the stock pot, add in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and beef stock. Season with garlic, oregano, cumin, paprika, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and other spices if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste.
- Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day. Serve with onions and crumbled bacon or whatever chili toppings you prefer!
Keywords: chili, paleo chili, keto chili, whole30 chili, best chili recipe