Paleo Almond Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
These Paleo Almond Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies are made with almond butter and big chocolate chunks for super gooey, decadent cookies! These gluten free and refined sugar free cookies will definitely satisfy your cookie craving.
Happy Friday, friends! This week has been a long and stressful one – full of divisiveness and arguments, and for a lot of us, disappointment. So, I thought we could all use a cookie. A big, warm cookie with gooey chocolate chunks, because that is something we can definitely all agree on, right?
This particular batch of cookies gets jazzed up by two of my all-time favorite ingredients: crunchy almonds + flaked coconut! The two come together with the big chunks of chocolate for an outrageously gooey and delicious cookie.
The base of the cookie starts off with two almond + coconutty ingredients: almond butter and coconut oil! Make sure to use virgin coconut oil, not refined, so you get that extra coconut flavor throughout the cookie. Almond butter adds structure and helps keep these super rich and chewy.
Coconut sugar is used to sweeten. This recipe does use one egg, but if you want to make the recipe vegan, you can substitute in a flax egg and get pretty similar results.
Almond flour is my paleo cookie flour of choice because the flavor is delicious and nutty, and it’s gets nicely golden brown and crispy around the edges. Make sure your almond flour is blanched and very finely ground for the best results!
Now for the add-ins! I love flaked coconut – the big, chunkier pieces that actually taste like coconut, not the stringy sweetened stuff. Chopped almonds are in there too, for added crunch that totally makes the texture of these cookies.
Make sure you toasted the almonds and coconut too, for max flavor impact! If you’ve made any of my chocolate cookies before…you know how I feel about chocolate chunks vs. chips! Chocolate chunks are WAY gooier, and way more delicious.
I’m a big advocate of taking the extra minute or two to chop up your own chocolate from a good, high quality dark chocolate bar. It’s so worth it! But if you do opt for chips, Ghirardelli’s stay the meltiest.
Okay now, time to get baking. You know you need a big, gooey, melty almond coconut chocolate chunk cookie right now – don’t you? Enjoy!
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Snapchat
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!Print
Paleo Almond Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 11 minutes
- Total Time: 71 minutes
- Yield: 14 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- ¼ cup coconut oil (solid at room temperature, similar to softened butte)
- ¼ cup creamy almond butter
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (192g) blanched almond flour
- ⅓ cup flaked coconut (toasted)
- ⅓ cup chopped almonds (toasted)
- ⅔ cup (4 oz.) chopped dark chocolate (make your own chocolate to keep 100% Paleo)
- Flaky sea salt (to sprinkle on top (optional))
- In a bowl or stand mixer, beat together the almond butter, coconut oil and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, salt, and baking soda to the wet ingredients. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in the toasted coconut, almonds, and chopped chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 48 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and use a cookie scoop to form cookies. Place cookies 2” apart and press down slightly. Sprinkle with a bit of flaky sea salt if desired. Bake for 11 minutes or just beginning to turn golden brown around the edges.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet and then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
To make these cookies vegan, you can replace with a flax egg!
Dang, I’m DROOLING over these cookies and I didn’t even eat breakfast yet! The gooey-ness looks UNREAL! Love the combo of almonds coconut and chocolate!
Thanks so much, Bethany! It’s one of my favorite flavor combos :)
Cookies are definitely needed after this week! And these look SO gorgeous, Rachel! You make the best cookies. I wish I could dig into that entire stack for breakfast!
Thanks so much, Gayle! Wish I could give everyone a cookie :)
These cookies look perfect! I do love the combo of chocolate with toasted almonds and coconut. That melty chocolate is amazing! :)
Thanks so much, Elizabeth!
Yes, this is definitely the perfect treat after this week! I love the toasted coconut and almonds. And the dark chocolate!
Thank you so much, Mary Ann!
Last week was stressful! We all deserve a nice warm cookie! :) Looks yummy!
I do need one of these cookies right now! That melty chocolate is calling my name! These look absolutely perfect, with the toasted almonds and coconut. :)
Hi Rachel – these look super delicious. All that melty chocolate. Thanks for a mouth watering paleo recipe! Have a super week!
Thanks so much, Allie!
oh girl yesss, I def need one…or 10…of these cookies!!
Truly looks delicious.
May I sub the egg to flax or chia egg ..? Thank you.
Hi Sara, a flax egg should work here!
I just came across your site! Excited to see all the alternatives I can use to satisfy my sweet tooth! Can I use Erythritol instead of coconut sugar? Thanks!
Hi Lili, I don’t use erythritol but a lot of people have reported success using it as a coconut sugar substitute in my recipes!
Love these cookies! So quick and easy to make, and delicious. They have become a staple.
So glad you’re loving them! Thanks for the feedback, Norine :)