These Gluten Free Oatmeal Pecan Cookies are soft and chewy with a perfect toasty flavor and crunch from the pecans! These cookies are sure to be a favorite.
I’ve mentioned my sisters’ dietary guidelines before, but I’ve decided this year, I’m going to share more of the things I make for her on here. She has a rather severe stomach issue that makes it super painful for her to eat most things…sounds terrible, I know. However, she takes it in stride and looks at it as a way to eat healthier. Even though all of you may not be gluten-free, low-sugar, and low-dairy, this recipe (as well as the ones to come) is still absolutely delicious and (dare I say it?) makes cookies as good as “normal” cookies.
When I handed one of these little gems to my dad, I said nothing. I didn’t tell him it was gluten-free, or low-sugar, and he ate the whole thing happily and said it was great. Once I told him it was gluten-free and sugar free, the first thing he said was “you should sell these.” For someone who has rarely made gluten-free things, and never made gluten-free cookies (with a recipe made up as I went), I was pretty darn proud of myself. These cookies really don’t taste gluten-free, because besides the potato starch, they’re normal things to put in cookies!
I didn’t have oat flour or almond flour, but I knew that’s what I wanted to use because they’re both cookie-like flavors…so I made my own. It’s soo simple, as long as you have a blender or a food processor you can do it. I’ll post instructions under the cookie recipe if you want to give making your own flours a shot. I highly encourage these to surprise your gluten free family and friends, or even just to have a “healthier” cookie recipe. My family loved these gluten free oatmeal pecan cookies, and I hope yours will too!
Oatmeal Pecan Cookies (GF)
- 10 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup 3 oz gluten-free oat flour
- 1/4 cup 1.5 oz potato starch
- 1/4 cup 1 oz almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 heaping cup chopped pecans toasted
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Whip together first four ingredients until combined. Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. They may seem slightly lumpy and not combine fully, but don't worry. It will come together.
- Add in egg and vanilla and whip until fully combined. In a seperate bowl, whisk together oat flour, potato starch, almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves. Add to butter and egg mixture and mix until fully combined.
- Fold in oats and pecans. Scoop and press down slightly, they won't spread much. Bake at 375 degrees F for 11 minutes or until lightly browned.
To make oat flour: Place 1 1/2 heaping cups gluten free oats in a food processor or blender. Blend until oats are powdery. If desired, strain out oat bran (I did this) and just use the oat powder. Leaving the bran out will create a smoother texture. Measure out 1 cup and proceed with recipe.
To make almond flour: Place 1/3 cup almond in a food process or blender and blend until mixture is powdery. Measure about 1/4 cup almond flour and proceed with recipe.