These Gluten-Free Vegan Gingerbread Scones will be your new favorite treat! They’re flaky, soft, and full of warm gingerbread flavors like cinnamon and molasses! You won’t believe they’re made healthier with gluten-free ingredients, vegan-friendly, and no refined sugar.
2¾ cups (264g) almond flour
- 1 cup (128g) arrowroot flour or tapioca flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup (100g) refined coconut oil, firm
- ¼ cup full fat canned coconut milk, plus extra to brush on top of the scones
¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg, see notes
- Raw turbinado sugar, to sprinkle on top
- In a food processor or large mixing bowl, combine the blanched almond flour, arrowroot flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Pulse or whisk together.
- Add in the coconut oil and pulse or use a pastry cutter or fork to work the coconut oil into the dry ingredients until only small chunks of coconut oil remain.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, maple syrup, molasses, vanilla extract, and flax egg. Add to the dry ingredients and stir or pulse until completely combined.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and dust with arrowroot flour. Put the dough on top of the parchment, dust with more arrowroot flour, and press into a circle, about 1 1/2” thick and 8” across. Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour to chill.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375F. Cut the circle into 8 scones and separate from each other so they’re not touching. Use a pastry brush to brush on some coconut milk and then sprinkle with raw turbinado sugar, if using. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Keywords: gingerbread scones