I’ve repeated over and over how much I love peanut butter and chocolate, but recently I’ve found a new, slightly more taboo love: peanut butter and bacon. Don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it! If you have indeed tried it, you’re probably singing the praises of this delicious combination right along with me – aren’t you?!
If you haven’t tried it, let me set the scene: when creamy, drippy peanut butter meets crunchy bacon, the salty, nutty smoothness of the peanut butter perfectly compliments the smoky bacon. They’re both strong tastes, but they work harmoniously to create a delicious burst of flavor in your mouth. It’s such a scrumptious combo, on toast or in a sandwich, or especially…in these pancakes.
Elvis famously loved his banana, peanut butter, and bacon sandwich and these pancakes are inspired by that amazing salty, creamy, crunchy combination. As if peanut butter and bacon together weren’t enough of their own, the addition of banana adds a bit of fruitiness and sweetness to cut through the richness the banana and bacon bring to the party.
Bacon definitely tends to be a savory food, and peanut butter can swing either way (peanut sauce, anyone?), so the bananas help to bring these pancakes firmly into breakfast territory.
Now, I don’t make pancakes too often because although I don’t like eating eggs (weird, I know – Guy Fieri knows what’s up), I also don’t like things that are too sweet for breakfast either. That usually has me steering away from pancakes and waffles at restaurants. But if a menu has waffles or pancakes WITH BACON in it on a restaurant menu…I’m ordering it. I love the savory element the smoky bacon adds to sweet breakfast foods, and it’s the bacon that takes these pancakes from good to outstanding.
The pancakes themselves are SO easy thanks to Krusteaz‘s super simple, just-add-water pancake mix. Of course, I can’t leave it there, so I added water, banana, and peanut butter to my pancakes to make the flavors pop. The bacon and peanut butter aren’t actually mixed in the batter, but rather stuffed inside the pancakes!!!
To make that happen, you have to work quickly. You pour about 1 big tablespoon of batter on the griddle and spread it thin. Quickly drizzle on some melted PB and your bacon, and then top with more batter. Work fast! Once you see bubbles, flip your pancake and wait ’til it’s golden brown. Make a stack, and devour!Print
- 1 cup Krusteaz Pancake Mix
- ¼ cup 1 medium banana, mashed
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons + ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 strips of bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- Heat pancake grizzle to 375ºF, medium heat. Lightly grease griddle.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the pancake mix, mashed banana, 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter and cold water with a wire whisk. Batter will be slightly lumpy, do not overmix. Let batter stand for 2 minutes.
- In a small liquid measuring cup or bowl, microwave the 1/4 cup peanut butter.
- Spoon about 1 heaping tablespoon of batter onto the griddle and spread thin. Drizzle some peanut butter in the center of the pancake and sprinkle with some of the crumbled bacon. Top with more pancake batter, covering the bacon and peanut butter. Cook for about 1 minute on one side or until golden brown, and then flip and cook on the other side for another 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. Repeat for the remaining batter, peanut butter, and bacon.
- Serve with bananas, peanut butter, and/or maple syrup.
- Category: Breakfast
This recipe was created as a part of my ambassadorship with Krusteaz as part of their Baker’s Dozen program. As always, all opinions are my own! Thank you for supporting the brands that support Bakerita :)