Easy Pesto White Bean Pasta (4 Ingredients!)
This Easy Pesto White Bean Pasta is made with four ingredients, in one-pan, and ready in about 15 minutes! This recipe is easily made gluten-free and vegan, and makes the perfect easy vegan dinner.
I’m a pesto pasta girl. Well really, I’m just a pesto girl. I love them all, whether it’s a classic green pesto or a delicious umami red pesto. I’ll spread it on sandwiches, add it to galettes, and of course, toss it with allll the pasta and cauliflower gnocchi.
One of my favorite things about pesto is the ease that it creates. I always have a batch of homemade pesto in the fridge, and make a ton of it in the summer to keep stocked in the freezer so I’m never without. Because, with a batch of pesto, you can have a quick and easy vegan dinner ready in just 15 minutes. This White Bean Pesto Pasta is the most perfect example of that: easy, quick, flavorful, and so delicious.
Why to make this pesto white bean pasta:
- Ready in about 15 minutes
- Easily gluten-free & vegan
- Made in one-pot
- Super flavorful
- Quick & easy to make
- Loaded with protein-packed white beans
- Perfect for meal prep
- Pasta: any of your favorite pastas will work, but I love a short pasta for this recipe. I used gluten-free brown rice elbows!
- White Beans: my favorite for this recipe is creamy cannellini beans.
- Pesto: I provide some of my favorite pesto recipes for this recipe below, but store-bought will work just as well and make this recipe super easy to put together quickly.
- Greens: use a quick cooking baby green to make this recipe super easy to put together, like spinach and/or baby kale.
My favorite pestos to use
I love a good homemade pesto, but store-bought works well too! Make sure to use a vegan pesto if you’re vegan or dairy-free.
- Spinach Basil Pesto: a classic green basil pesto that is loaded up with extra greens!
- Pesto Rosso (Sun-dried Tomato Pesto): this red pesto makes for a different flavor profile for this recipe, but will be SO good here with the white beans!
- Fennel Frond Pesto: this pesto uses fennel fronds for an herby, earthy pesto that is so flavorful and tasty!
- Carrot Top Pesto: another zero waste pesto, this one is made with carrot tops and is super delicious!
- Trader Joe’s Kale Basil Vegan Pesto: I find this pesto usually needs extra salt and lemon for my tastes, but it works so well in a pinch! I always have some in my freezer.
Tip for the best white bean pasta
- Use your favorite beans! I love the creaminess of cannellini beans, but any of your favorites work – garbanzos or great northern beans would be great.
- Add more veggies. The greens here really do it for me, but sautéed mushrooms, roasted broccoli, asparagus, peas, or any other of your favorite veggies would be great additions to this recipe to pack in some extra nutrients.
- Garnish generously! I topped mine with chili crisp for a little heat, plus some vegan parmesan and lemon juice. Hemp seeds would be a great addition too for a little extra protein boost! Herbs & toasted nuts would make a great topping as well.
How to store
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can reheat over the stove on low-medium heat with a lid on, or you can reheat in the microwave in a microwave-safe container for about 1 minute and 30 seconds.
You can also prep this dish ahead of time for meal prep and divide into airtight containers for storage. This easy vegan meal is great cold as well!
More easy vegan dinners:
- One-Pot Miso Mushroom Pasta
- Pesto Broccoli Cauliflower Gnocchi
- Caramelized Leek Pasta
- Honeynut Squash Soup
- One-Pot Creamy Lemon Pasta
- Vegetable Miso Noodle Soup
Easy White Bean Pesto Pasta
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 to 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegan
This Easy White Bean Pesto Pasta is made with four ingredients and ready in about 15 minutes! This recipe is easily made gluten-free and vegan, and makes the perfect easy vegan dinner.
- 8 oz. pasta of choice, I used gluten-free brown rice elbows
- 1 (15 oz.) can white beans, I used cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz. (1 cup) pesto sauce, vegan if needed, Trader Joe’s vegan pesto works great here!
- 2 to 3 cups baby greens, like spinach, kale, or chard
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Chili crisp, parmesan, lemon juice, to garnish
- Cook pasta according to the package directions. Reserve about one cup of pasta cooking liquid. Drain, rinse if called for, and set aside.
In a medium saute pan, heat the white beans. Add the pesto and stir to combine, adding pasta water to thin out the pesto to a thinner, saucier consistency. Add the greens and cover for one minute to help them wilt more quickly. Remove lid, and stir until the pesto is warmed through and the greens are wilted.
Stir in the pasta, adding more pasta water as needed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve and garnish with chili crisp for spice, Parmesan (vegan if needed) and/or lemon juice if you like it extra tangy. Enjoy!
- You can use any pesto you like here – I love this spinach basil pesto, pesto Rosso (sun-dried tomato pesto), fennel frond pesto, and carrot top pesto!
- I love the creaminess of cannellini beans, but Great Northern beans, Navy beans, or even garbanzo beans are all great options.
- If you prefer to use a more mature green, like kale, chard, or collards, cut them thin and saute in a bit of oil & salt to soften before adding in the beans and pesto.
- I topped mine with chili crisp for a little heat, plus some vegan parmesan and lemon juice. Hemp seeds, fresh herbs, & toasted nuts would make great toppings as well.
Keywords: white bean pasta, pesto pasta, gluten-free pasta, vegan pasta, easy vegan dinner