This Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal is topped with caramelized apples and crunchy pecans for an irresistible breakfast that’s much more decadent than it looks. This breakfast treat is gluten-free, refined sugar free + vegan!
Sooo…I’ve been sitting here wondering what to call this bowl of delicious apple oatmeal for a little while now. My sister’s suggestions were “apple pie oatmealiciousness” and “caramel apple oatmeal extravaganza” and while more exciting than my usual recipe titles, not exactly SEO friendly or very self-explanatory.
I finally decided on Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal, but MAN how boring does that sound? It reminds me of the instant oatmeal packets from childhood – remember those? And the weird, thin, almost chalky oatmeal it made?
This apple cinnamon oatmeal is such a far cry from those sad breakfast days, so I had to include the “with Caramelized Apples + Pecans” because that wonderfully delicious topping is one of the main reasons this oatmeal is so good.
But before we get to the topping, there’s some wonderful stuff going on underneath there too. One apple is diced for the whole recipe – half of it gets caramelized for the topping, and the other half is stirred in with the oats.
To help hydrate the oats and add a TON of flavor, I used a combo of apple juice and almond milk. You could go for all of one or the other, but I love that the apple juice added some extra apple flavor and sweetness while the almond milk provided a bit of creaminess. Cinnamon and nutmeg are added for spice, and maple syrup to sweeten if you want it.
While the oatmeal is simmering away, the caramelized apple topping gets going. The diced apples are tossed in a pan with coconut oil and coconut sugar and left to simmer away for a few minutes until you’ve got caramel-like sauce and the apples have gotten nice and tender. Stir in the pecans so they get coated in caramel sauce too!
This recipe makes 1 serving and is best served immediately, but it can be scaled up easy peasy to make some for a few more people. The resulting bowl of oatmeal is an apple lover’s dream!
The creamy oatmeal has a bold apple taste thanks to the apple juice and the diced apples retain a nice bite. The cinnamon and nutmeg add the perfect amount of warmth! My personal favorite part though, is the caramelized apple pecan topping.
The caramelized apples are sweet, a little sticky, and perfectly tender…you’ll be hard pressed not to eat the topping on it’s own. This is a breakfast that’ll make any day feel special and is sure to warm up your chilly mornings. Enjoy!
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal with Caramelized Apples + Pecans
- ⅓ cup rolled oats gluten free if necessary
- 1 small apple peeled and diced into bite-sized pieces
- ⅓ cup 100% pure apple juice
- ⅓ cup non-dairy milk I used almond
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or add to taste
- In a small saucepan, combine oats, diced apples, apple juice, almond milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Simmer until liquid has absorbed into the oats, stirring frequently to prevent burning, for about 8-10 minutes. Add maple syrup to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a separate small saucepan, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the diced apple chunks and coconut sugar. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has melted and formed a caramel-like sauce on the apples. Stir in the pecans.
- Serve the oatmeal immediately, topped with the caramelized apples. Enjoy!