These Almond Joy Brownies have a coconut butter topping and a drizzle of dark chocolate – you’d never guess that these indulgent brownies are gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and Paleo!
The candy copycat train has gotten rolling and it CAN’T BE STOPPED! Since the Homemade Twix Bars started this obsession, followed by the smashing successes of these homemade Peanut Butter Cups + the Girl Scout Cookie copycat Samoa Bars, I’ve been thinking of lots of candy-inspired but totally healthified recipes to make for you.
Next up: Almond Joy Brownies! I was going to go for straight up copycat Almond Joys, and that will probably happen around here someday, but piling all the goodness of an Almond Joy onto a deliciously rich and fudgy brownie? Well, that sounded like it needed to be made ASAP.
These brownies are super quick and easy to throw together – the batter is made in one bowl! The recipe uses cocoa powder for all the chocolate flavor, and the resulting brownie is incredibly fudge-like and positively scrumptious.
Now for that irresistible Almond Joy topping: the coconut mixture is just two ingredients, unsweetened shredded coconut and coconut butter. For the coconut butter, I like to make it myself. All you need is unsweetened shredded coconut and a blender or food process – a few minutes on high will give you a smooth and creamy butter that tastes like coconut heaven!
Once the coconut butter and shreds have been spread all over the brownies, almonds are pressed into the top and the brownies get a drizzle of dark chocolate. Then, use all of your self control to try not to devour them!
The brownies are super chocolatey and fudgy, the coconut layer melts in your mouth, and almond adds a bit of crunch. They are super reminiscent of the much more unhealthy Almond Joy candy, with way less sugar. You’d seriously never guess biting into one of these that they’re gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free, and Paleo!
Whip up a batch of these and share with your coconut loving friends to get all the love. If you’re still have candy cravings, maybe you’d be interested in a peanut butter cup or a Twix bar? Go get those cravings satisfied – enjoy!
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
Almond Joy Brownies (Gluten Free + Paleo)
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil and spray with cooking spray; set prepared pan aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the melted coconut oil, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk to combine completely.
- Add the vanilla, eggs, and stir vigorously until batter is thick, shiny, and well blended. Add the almond flour and stir until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake until a toothpick in the center emerges slightly moist with batter, about 22-25 minutes. Check with a toothpick - it should come out with moist crumbs attached. Place brownies on a cooling rack to cool.
- Stir together the unsweetened shredded coconut and coconut butter. Spread evenly over the cooling brownies. Score the brownies into 16 squares and place an almond in the center of each brownie square. Place in the refrigerator or freezer for 30 minutes to an hour to set before cutting into 16 squares.
- Place melted chocolate into a small piping bag or Ziplock bag with the corner snipped off, and drizzle each brownie with chocolate. Let the chocolate set before serving.
- Brownies will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.