This recipe for Paleo Almond Banana Bread is refined sugar-free, gluten free and made with almond and coconut flours! This bread is a longtime favorite.
My goodness. I really want to give you guys a good recipe post right now. I want to write something long, and inspiring, or at least entertaining.
But…I want to do that less than I want to sleep.
To all other sorority girls out there, it’s polish week. Or work week, or prep week, or whatever you call the week before recruitment.
If you’ve gone through it, well, you know that it is exhausting! Fun, because I’ve been with my sisters non-stop, but we’ve also been going long hours and I need to sleep! So, unfortunately, all your getting out of me tonight is a kick-ass recipe for paleo, refined sugar free, gluten free, delicious almond banana bread.
My sister devoured two loaves in as many days, and her boyfriend referred to it as “the bread of the gods”. My sister is gluten-free, but her boyfriend isn’t, so that definitely tells you something!
I also love that this recipe uses coconut oil! It’s one of my new favorite products to use, because it’s so darn versatile My favorite way to use it is in cooking (obviously), but my sister slathers it all over her body in place of body lotion (and she always smells great) and I know some people use it in their hair too.
I get my coconut oil from the awesome people at Tropical Traditions*. They offered me a free bottle of their Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil to try, and the stuff is absolutely amazing. I’ve created a ton of recipes using it that I can’t wait to share here! If you’re unsure of coconut oil and it’s uses (I know it seems like a total fad thing, but I think it’s here to stay), the site has great info about how to use coconut oil.
As for the texture, this Almond Banana Bread is dense, but super flavorful and isn’t dry or crumbly at all. The coconut oil and bananas keep it super moist (ew, that word). It’s amazing with a slather of peanut butter, a thin layer of coconut butter, or a pat of butter.
It’s sweet, which is wildly impressive considering except for 1 tablespoon of honey (that’s nothing!), it’s sweetened solely by bananas. I also love doing the no-grain thing in my gluten free baking recipes, because almonds and coconuts (the flours I used) taste like they belong in a dessert or baked good, unlike other weird gluten free flours that just leave a bad aftertaste.
If you’re looking for something a tad bit healthier than your typical banana bread, try this recipe out! You won’t be disappointed.
Almond Banana Bread
- 2 medium bananas mashed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (4 oz.) almond flour
- ½ cup (2 oz.) coconut flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar not paleo, totally optional!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 5x7-inch loaf pan.
- Mix together the bananas, coconut oil, honey, vanilla, and eggs until completely combined. Add in the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and stir until all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture, which should be thick, into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the chopped almonds and turbinado sugar evenly over the top.
- Bake for 32-35 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and a knife comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes and then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Keep tightly wrapped for up to 3 days.
I use Honeyville Blanched Almond Meal Flour and I haven't tried this recipe using a different brand, so if you try something else, let us know how it works in the comment section!
For the coconut flour, I use Bob's Red Mill, which is readily available at most grocery stores.
This recipe is heavily adapted from Running to the Kitchen
Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of their coconut oil to try. I had no obligation to write about it. This post contains affiliate links.
Enjoy this recipe? Check out some of my similar favorites below!