For the coconut crust
- 2 egg whites (room temperature)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded coconut
For the chocolate filling
- 1 cup canned coconut milk OR coconut cream
- 10 oz. dark chocolate (chopped)
- ¼ cup flaked coconut (toasted, to garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease 3 mini tart pans or one larger (8” to 10″) tart pan.
- In a stand mixer or bowl and electric mixer, whip egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. Add in the honey and vanilla extract, and then fold in the coconut until completely combined.
- Press the coconut mixture into the tart pan(s), including on the sides of the pan. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Make the chocolate filling while the crust cools.
- Place the dark chocolate in a bowl. Microwave the canned coconut milk for 1 minute in a microwaveable bowl or measuring cup, or until bubbling. Pour over the dark chocolate. Let stand for 2 minutes; whisk until smooth.
- Divide the chocolate filling between the tart pans and shake gently to even the chocolate out. Garnish with toasted coconut. Let cool in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving.
I made three tarts, but as you can see, I had enough of the macaroon mixture left over to make some macaroons! You could probably get four tart crusts out of this recipe, but you would likely need to increase the chocolate filling recipe by about 25% (1 1/4 cups coconut cream & 12.5 ounces dark chocolate). Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert