This Creamy Vegan Kale & White Bean Soup is so flavorful, filling, and ready to eat in about 30 minutes. This easy soup recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and full of plant-based protein.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more as needed
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cans white beans or 3 cups of home-cooked white beans, I used cannellini
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small bunch lacinato kale, very thinly sliced, about 2 cups
- Lemon juice, to finish
- In a medium saucepan or stockpot over medium-low heat, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook until the onions are translucent and the celery and carrots are softened, for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant but not burned, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in the broth, beans, bay leaves, salt, and thyme. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for about 10 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Place the miso in a small bowl and spoon some of the brothy liquid on top. Whisk the miso into the liquid to smooth it out, and then add into the soup.
- If you want a super creamy soup, transfer half the soup to a blender now and blend until completely smooth before returning to the pot.
- Stir in the kale and let cook for 2 minutes to soften. Add salt to taste.
- Serve immediately! I love serving this with a squeeze of lemon juice on top and a big slice of sourdough bread. A spoonful of vegan pesto on top is delicious as well.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: kale soup, white bean soup, white bean stew, vegan stew