This Creamed Spinach & White Bean Stuffed Delicata Squash is a plant-based dinner that you’ll dream about! It’s filling, with tons of vegetables, and loaded with plant-based protein from the white beans. This easy recipe comes together quickly and is super satisfying.
- 2 small delicata squashes, mine were about 5½ inches in length
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups (1 15 oz. can) white beans, drained and rinsed, I recommend cannellini beans
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Toasted bread crumbs, gluten-free if needed, see Notes for how-to toast
For the creamy sauce
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut the delicata squashes in half lengthwise and scoop out the stringy insides and seeds. Save to roast separately!
- Brush the inside of the squash with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Place the squash cut side down on the baking sheet and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a knife easily pierces the squash.
- While the squash bakes, prepare the filling. Start by making the cashew cream sauce: blend the cashews, water, nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice, and salt in a high-powered blender until completely smooth, about three minutes, and set it aside while you prepare the spinach and white beans.
- To make the filling, heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a medium-sized deep-sided saute pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onions and cook for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in the spinach and white beans, and cook until the spinach is wilted and the beans are warmed through. Pour in the cashew cream sauce and mix until fully combined, letting the sauce thicken slightly as it mixes with the vegetables. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Divide the creamed spinach filling into the roasted squash halves. Top with toasted breadcrumbs, if using (breadcrumb how-to in the Notes below). Return to the oven for five minutes to warm it all through and serve immediately.
For the toasted breadcrumbs: heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small saute pan. Add in about ⅓ cup breadcrumbs (gluten-free if needed) and any spices or herbs of your choice. I added in a bit of garlic powder and onion salt. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden and toasted. Remove from heat.
To make ahead of time: prep the squash all the way up until stuffing the squash, and instead of baking, cover with plastic wrap or foil and place in the refrigerator for up to two days. When ready to serve, reheat in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 350°F.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: stuffed squash, delicata squash, vegan creamed spinach, white beans, cashew sauce