For the dough
- 2 3/4 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
For the filling
- 2 tablespoons butter (room tempterature)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pepperoni (chopped (optional))
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine 1 3/4 cups of bread flour with sugar, salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and yeast, and stir to mix. In a small saucepan heat milk and butter over low heat until butter is just melted, then set aside for 1 minute and add water. Add milk mixture to the flour and stir to combine. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until each is combined. This will take a few minutes. Add the remaining 1 cup of flour and knead the dough on low for about 4-5 minutes. It will still be slightly sticky but resist adding more flour.
- Set dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a towel, then set in a warm place to rise for one hour. After one hour, punch the dough down and either refrigerate for later/tomorrow use, or use it now. Lightly flour your workspace and using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a giant rectangle. Combine butter and minced garlic and spread evenly on rolled out dough. Spread pizza sauce on top of that, and sprinkle evenly with pepperoni and cheese.
- Using a pizza cutter, slice the dough from top to bottom into 6 even strips. Lay the strips on top of each other (be careful you don’t lose the cheese!) and then cut into 6 pieces again. Butter and lightly flour a 9 x 5 loaf pan. Layer the square slices into the loaf pan cut side down. Cover the dough with a towel and let rise for another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and set the loaf pan on a baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Serve with warm pizza sauce.
Recipe inspired by https://www.justataste.com/pepperoni-pizza-pull-apart-bread-recipe/