Calling all coffee lovers! These Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies are irresistibly good, with the flavor of espresso shining through and dark chocolate chunks in every bite. You wouldn’t guess that they’re gluten-free, paleo and vegan.
- ½ cup coconut oil, solid at room temperature
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal whisked with 2.5 tablespoons water, whisk and let set for 5 minutes, can also use a regular egg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups (216g) blanched almond flour
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup (3 ounces) chopped dark chocolate
- Flaky sea salt to sprinkle on top, optional – I used Jacobsen Salt’s Espresso Salt
- Beat together the coconut oil and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the flax egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, espresso powder, cacao powder, salt, and baking soda to the wet ingredients. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in the chopped chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour (can prepare up to 48 hours ahead of time).
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Use a cookie scoop to form cookies and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet; press down slightly. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt if desired. Bake for 10 minutes or just beginning to turn golden brown around the edges.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 131
- Fat: 19
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 4