This Gluten-Free Vegan Shortbread tastes rich and buttery – without the butter. This simple recipe is made with just FOUR ingredients and can be topped with chocolate for an extra-special holiday treat.
- Line an 8×8 square baking pan with parchment paper, or lightly grease a 14″ x 4.5” tart pan with a removable bottom with coconut oil.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the coconut oil or butter with the coconut sugar. Mix until completely smooth and incorporated. Add in the vanilla extract, if using. Add the flours and salt and stir until completely incorporated and a smooth dough forms.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan and smooth out the top.
- Chill the dough for at least 1 hour at room temperature. If you’re letting it set for over one hour, move it into the fridge.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Bake the shortbread in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown around the edges.
- Let cool completely before removing the cookies from the pan.
- Once cool, lift the cookies out of the pan. If leaving them plain, cut into your desired shapes.
- If you want the chocolate topping, smooth the melted chocolate evenly over cookie and let cool slightly before cutting. I’d recommend cutting when the chocolate is cool, but not completely firm so it doesn’t splinter. Once cut, transfer the chocolate-covered cookies to the fridge to let the chocolate firm up completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for a few days, or in the freezer for longer storage.