The best creamy vegan mashed potatoes made with plant-based butter, fresh garlic, and healthy ingredients! These mashed potatoes are so simple to make and perfect served with homemade gravy for Thanksgiving dinner.
- 3 pounds potatoes, I use half Russet and half Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt + more to taste
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter, softened
- 1 tablespoons white miso paste, optional – adds lovely savory flavor though
- 1–2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh chives, for serving
- Start by preparing the potatoes. Peel the potatoes and cut into large, relatively even chunks. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and cover them by about 1 inch in water. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and stir.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender. They should be soft all the way through. This will take about 15-20 minutes but can vary based on the size of your potato pieces.
- Reserve about 2 cups of the potato cooking water in a liquid measuring cup, and then drain the potatoes well.
- Once the vegan butter is softened, place it in a small bowl and add the garlic and miso paste. Using a fork or small whisk, mix them together until well combined.
- Return the potatoes to the pan and cook for a few minutes over low heat to cook off any excess moisture. Run through a potato ricer if you’re ricing the potatoes, or using a potato masher to mash well. Stir in the butter mixture until melted and incorporated. Slowly add the reserved cooking water, mashing, and folding as you add, until you reach your desired consistency.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh chives and more vegan butter before serving warm.
You can replace up to one pound of the potatoes with cauliflower to lighten this dish up if you like, as well. If you do, make sure the cauliflower is super tender so it mashes well with the potatoes!
Keywords: thanksgiving, vegan, gluten free, mashed potatoes, vegetarian, healthy, side dish