For the cake
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups 12 3/4 oz. all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup milk (I used 2%, use whatever you have)
For the buttercream
- 3 sticks + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar (sifted)
- 3 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce + 1/4 cup for assembly (homemade or store bought is fine)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8″ or 9″ inch round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl or stand mixer, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, making sure each is completely incorporated before adding the next, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a separate bowl. Fold into the batter until completely combined. Stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour batter equally into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch.
For the buttercream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter for 8 minutes. Butter will become very pale & creamy.
- Add remaining ingredients except caramel and mix on low speed for 1 minute, then on medium for 4 minutes. Frosting will be very light, creamy and fluffy. Add the caramel and mix for another 2 minutes.
- Best used right away (for ideal spreading consistency).
- Place a small dollop of frosting in the center of your serving plate or a cake board, and place the bottom cake layer on top.
- Spread the reserved 1/4 cup of caramel over the top of the cake layer. Spread 1 cup of frosting on top of the caramel and spread evenly.
- Place 2nd cake layer face-down on top. Place a generous scoop of frosting on top, and frost however desired! For this cake, I just dolloped the frosting around and swirled it with the edge of a rubber spatula. Feel free to frost however you like best.
- If desired, drizzle caramel over the top of the frosted cake. Keep refrigerated until serving.