- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (whole wheat flour works fine too)
- ¾ cup ground flaxseed
- ¾ cup oat bran
- ½ cup maple syrup (can also use honey)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ cups grated carrots
- 2 apples, peeled and grated
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used sliced almonds)
- ¾ cup milk of choice
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together flour, ground flaxseed, oat bran, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Stir in carrots, apples, raisins (if desired) and nuts. Combine milk of choice, maple syrup or honey, egg whites and vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until ingredients are moistened. Take care not to over mix.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!
Keywords: muffins, whole wheat, apple, carrot, healthy, breakfast, brunch, dessert