This Vegan Taco Meat recipe is a game-changer! It’s made with cauliflower, mushrooms, nuts, and spices. It’s perfect as a taco filling, over nachos, on a taco salad, or wrapped in a burrito.
- 1½ cups diced cauliflower florets or cauliflower rice
- 1½ cups diced cremini mushrooms
- 1½ cups nuts, walnuts, pecans, or almonds all work
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- ¼ cup water
- In the bowl of a large food processor, combine all of the ingredients except for the water.
- Pulse, scraping down the sides as necessary, until the nuts and vegetables are broken down slightly. Add the water and pulse a few more times, until the mixture sticks together but still has texture.
- If you have a small food processor, like me, pulse the vegetables in the food processor first. Place in a large mixing bowl, and then pulse the rest of the ingredients together. Mix all of it together until fully combined.
- Heat a few tablespoons of avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the vegetable-nut mixture. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until it’s cooked to your desired consistency. It should be tender and flavorful. If it dries out too much, you can add a splash of water.
- Serve immediately or keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
For the tacos: I served the vegan taco meat on a grain-free tortilla with pico de gallo, avocado, cilanto, and a drizzle of vegan cheese sauce.
Keywords: taco meat, vegan, vegan tacos, gluten-free, vegetarian, nut meat