Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip: tastes as good as the original, but it’s dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free, and Whole30! No processed ingredients here – just whole, plant-based foods. It’s perfect as an appetizer or for game day.
- 1¼ cups raw cashews, soaked in water for 30 minutes and drained and rinsed before using
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (8 oz) jar marinated artichokes, removed from the marinade and roughly chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach, see Notes
- Vegan parmesan, to garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease an oven-safe casserole dish, mine is about 8″ across.
- In a high-powdered blender, combine the soaked cashews, water, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, tapioca starch, salt, and onion powder.
- Blend on medium-high speed until completely smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes. Use the tamper and scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add a tablespoon or so of oil (like avocado oil or olive oil) and add the diced onion. Cook for one minute, and then add in the chopped artichoke heart. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add in the spinach and toss for a minute, until the spinach is wilted.
- Pour the cashew sauce over the top and stir to combine. The sauce will thicken slightly.
- Transfer the dip into the prepared casserole dish and garnish with vegan parmesan, if using. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until warmed through.
- Serve hot with chips, crackers, veggie sticks, baguettes, or whatever else you’d like!
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days.
To make ahead: Make the recipe as directed, without baking. Cover and place it the refrigerator for 1 – 2 days until ready to bake.
To use frozen spinach: use about ½ cup frozen spinach in place of the fresh. Make sure you thaw and drain it, and squeeze it well to get rid of any excess moisture!
Keywords: spinach artichoke dip, vegan dip, vegan spinach dip, vegan artichoke dip, artichoke hearts