This Vegan Pot Pie has a scrumptious flaky gluten-free & paleo crust and the creamy filling is absolutely loaded with vegetables! This hearty, filling meal is perfect for chilly days and freezes well.
For the crust
- 1 ⅓ cups (120g) almond flour
- ½ cup (70g) cassava flour
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon dried fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons refined coconut oil, chilled
- 1 flax egg
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk, or cold water
For the filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, diced
- ½ cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 1 ½ cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Salt & pepper, to taste
For the crust
- Combine the almond flour, cassava flour, nutritional yeast, thyme, salt, and coconut oil in a food processor, or use a pastry blender in a bowl. Pulse or blend until the texture of coarse meal. In a small bowl, whisk the flax egg with the water and then add to the dry ingredients. Pulse/mix again until the dough comes together. If you’re mixing in a bowl, you may want to use your hands to bring the dough together at the end.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into flat, round discs. Wrap each dough disc in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°Roll out one round of dough in between two sheets of parchment or on a silicone baking mat into a 12-inch circle. Carefully lay dough into a 9-inch pie dish (not deep dish). If the dough breaks, that’s okay! Just press it back into place and repair any holes/cracks that may have formed. Bake for 15 minutes or until it looks set. Prepare the filling while the crust bakes.
For the filling
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan pan. Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook until onions are translucent. Add diced mushrooms and cook until well browned and any liquid has evaporated. Stir in the potatoes, peas, garlic, and arrowroot powder and cook 1 minute. Add broth, almond milk, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Let the crust and filling cool slightly while you roll out the top layer of crust.
- Roll out the second round of dough in between two sheets of parchment or on a silicone baking mat into a 12-inch circle.
- Fill the crust with the filling, and then top with the second round of dough, sealing the edges with a fork. Use a knife to make some holes in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet for 30 minutes or until the pie is golden brown on top and the filling is bubbling. Tent with foil if the pie starts to brown too quickly!
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving!
Keywords: pot pie, vegan, paleo, gluten-free, dinner, pie, crust