This Vegan Mushroom Gravy is quick and simple to make. It’s the perfect pairing for your mashed potatoes, or to pour over your holiday meal!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or vegan butter, for sautéing
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 lbs. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free tamari
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- ½ cup plain non-dairy milk
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- In a medium-sized non-stick saucepan, sauté the onion in a tablespoon of oil or butter until beginning to brown, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add the rest of the oil or butter and the mushrooms and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they’re lightly browned and extra liquid has evaporated. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, thyme, nutritional yeast, and tamari. In a bowl, whisk the dairy-free milk and arrowroot powder together until smooth. Add it to the saucepan and stir well.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until thickened to your liking. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.
Cut this recipe in half if you’re serving a smaller amount of people. It keeps well as leftovers, too! Reheat over the stove or in the microwave.